Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Key/Immobiliser Problems

A

akwoods

Hey There, I've got a 98 VT Clubsport I brought about 6 months ago, It only came with one key to start it and the battery in that key was flat, so the lock/unlock/boot-release buttons didn't work. I brought 2 more keys and had them programmed, and they held the program for an hour then they wouldn't start the car anymore and I had to resort to the old, dodgy key again. I took it back to my mechanic and he got an Auto-Elec to look over the car, changed the Body Control Module (BCM) and this still didn't help (The keys would start the car until the program dropped-out about an hour later). I've since been told that, in order to program keys to start the car (the 2 new keys can lock/unlock the car and open the boot) you need little "Cards" or "tags" that fit in a slot in the glovebox so they will hold the program. I have been unable to contact the previous owner of the car (after going through 6 different wholesalers I discovered that the car was reposessed by a finance company so the previous owner kept anything good!) and couldn't get the tags for reprogramming. To replace the entire module is going to cost over a thousand dollars and I've been told it's not possible to by-pass the "extra" HSV module and immobiliser (built by "blastids Incorporated" to ensure it can't be tampered with) and I was wondering if anybody had any similar experiences and could recommend any action to take, since my original key is gaffer-taped back together and only works after you tap it on the steering-wheel or pull it apart and shift the contactor out........ARGH! Thanks, AW. :eek:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
OK from the top...
the hsv add on is a pretty good immobiliser, hard but not impossible to bypass.
i take it you have no tags at all
what area you live in?
the thing is the keys dont actually loose the program, the ISS has not armed fully when they work, when they stop working the system is fully armed.

G

gregory.arnold

I have had the exact same problem with my 1999 XU8. Tried to locate the tags with absolutely no luck at all. HSV don't want to know about it and I to was quoted $900 plus labour to fix. I found a security company that was able to bypass the problem by removing the chip from the only key I have that works (stuck together with glue and tape like yours) and installing under the dash. Not very satifactory but at least I wont get stranded and I can use new keys and still use the remote locking etc.

The down side of course is that I no longer have an immobiliser. I am hoping that this will only be temporary. I am currently writing to HSV's MD to vent my spleen at their unwillingness to help me resolve the problem. They built it and sold it and there is nothing wrong with it. It should be supported by HSV.

Perhaps everyone with this problem should do like wise. I'm not sure where you live but the company that use this method to bypass are Tower Security in Oakleigh. If you or anyone else has any other ideas would be glad t hear from you.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Iss

I dont believe it has anything to do with HSV, after all the tags supplied with the car are an integral part of the security system & its not HSV's fault they are lost. They do support it, they sell replacement kits to people who have lost the tags.
sounds like this "fix" by this security company has made your car vulnerable to theft by permanently providing the theft deterrent system with a signal, far from ideal in my opinion, i can bypass the ISS to allow the standard system to function correctly & two new remote keys, cost $450. Or i can replace your ISS completely & new tags & two new remote keys for $750.
Contact the guy who originally started this thread ages ago akwoods i fixed his problems up.

Cheers Rob

P

Professor Vert.

this defiantley has to do with the ISS module, it needs to learn the new keys too, there is a red tag that should be with it, u need to contact holden and see what the go is, i cant remember if new tags can be ordered or not, u may have to get a new ISS module with tags included. Didn't they tell u it wouldnt work when they programmed the new keys?!! they should have!!!!!!!!!!!

M

msampaio

does any one know how the immobiliser key work or does any one know how to bypass it on a VS Grange. It is the sensor in the console lid.

jus086

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport
hi i was wondering if anyone knew how to take out the ISS system and what system could replace it?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
What would it cost to have a new iss fitted to a vs 1998 maloo as ive lostt my red tag?

Imdvyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 vt CLUBSPORT
Hi akwoods I'm having the same problem right now Did you get it fixed if so would love to know how I'm having no luck if you can let me know that would be great thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You won't be getting a reply from him, he posted in 2004 as a guest, his one and only post. He's not coming back.
Maybe start a new tread explaining the exact nature of your problem.