Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Change/filter change interval on VTII 6 cyl ?

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
What is optimal oil change interval on 6 cyl VT II ? Every 5K ?

What about oil filter ? Every 10K or every 5K ?

What is better oil filter brand : Ryco (expensive) or Valvoline - or something else like AC Delco ?

Thanks.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Always do both oil and filter. 5k and 10k depends on how anal you are.

A lot of mineral oils get fouled after 5k. Semi-synthetic and synthetic oils should be changed abot the 10k mark. Some dealerships and oil companies say that Full synthetic oil is fine for 20k, but I'd never do it..

I use Ryco filters..

nmldb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Berlina Wagon
Oils......?

Shounak said:
Always do both oil and filter. 5k and 10k depends on how anal you are.

A lot of mineral oils get fouled after 5k. Semi-synthetic and synthetic oils should be changed abot the 10k mark. Some dealerships and oil companies say that Full synthetic oil is fine for 20k, but I'd never do it..

I use Ryco filters..

Ok - thanks Shounak. If you use good quality synthetic oil and a good quality filter like Ryco, and change oil every 10K, presumably the oil filter will be ok for 10K too ?

Also, usual oil recommended by GMH is 10-30 I think ? Is any other suitable without risking engine wear ? What brand of synthetic would be best for 10K changes ?

Thanks again.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
nmldb said:
Ok - thanks Shounak. If you use good quality synthetic oil and a good quality filter like Ryco, and change oil every 10K, presumably the oil filter will be ok for 10K too ?

Also, usual oil recommended by GMH is 10-30 I think ? Is any other suitable without risking engine wear ? What brand of synthetic would be best for 10K changes ?

Thanks again.
For the Ecotec I'd recommend Penrite 15W-40, I'm pretty sure they make it in Semi-synthetic. You could even go 10W-40..

I wouldn't go 20W unless you've got over 220k's on the clock..

If you want a good full synthetic oil, try Penrite SIN, I've only heard good things about it. They make a 15W-50 oil, which would be perfect for you..

Full synthetics cost about $60-70, but the other ones would cost about $30..

And if you use Semi or Full synthetic, you will easily be fine for 10,000km (unless you do very heavy towing or dusty driving, or give your car hell)..