Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VT front brake discs and pads

flukey77

Reaction score
Hey lads, quick question. The brakes on the front of my cousins vt are warped so we have bought some replacement slotted dbas and new pads. We are planning to fit the new discs ourselves but I havent done it before so I am unsure what torques I have to do the brake or calliper bolts back up to after I have put the new discs and pads on. If any of you know it would be appreciated. Also if any of you have done this and have come across unexpected hassles. Thanks for your time.

Luke

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Have done this before and in the midst of doing it now as well as painting calipers and rotors

Have done many pad and rotor replacment over the last couple of years as a mechanic and have never used a torque wrench to do them up always just done them up tight enough that they wont come loose but not to tight..

As far a specs in NM have no idea all i can say is just do them up until you think its tight enough if not to sure take it to someone and get them to do it

Not worth risking it with brakes THEY HELP STOP YOU :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The torque settings for the anchor plate bolts are; First stage, 80-90 Nm. Second stage, plus 45 degrees.
I just do them up pretty tight and have never had problems.

flukey77

Reaction score
Hey lads, sorry to bother you but have hit a brick wall. How do you get the hub and studs out of the old rotor, it seems to be fairly well pressed in and we have tried bashing it out with timber to no avail. Could anyone who has done this possibly tell us what needs to be done? BOGANV8? Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hey lads, sorry to bother you but have hit a brick wall. How do you get the hub and studs out of the old rotor, it seems to be fairly well pressed in and we have tried bashing it out with timber to no avail. Could anyone who has done this possibly tell us what needs to be done? BOGANV8? Cheers

The rotors should come off easily, the only things that holds them on are the wheel nuts and the calipers and you've obviously removed those. I've never had a problem.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
For the rear rotors make sure the handbrake is released.

If the rear rotors are still held in place by the handbrake shoes,
loosen the handbrake shoe adjustment by inserting a screwdriver through the hole in the disc and operating the adjusting wheel.

flukey77

Reaction score
Cheers again lads, persisted with the bashing and they came off, the only trouble now is the rain, we were workin outside and it started pelting down. Oh well, you get that.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Were you meaning the front rotors having trouble with the studs

I thought they just slide over the hub and the wheel keeps it from falling off

mite be wrong :) :) :)

flukey77

Reaction score
yeh, u were right, they do just slide over, these ones were just seriously stiff, bashed them off eventually though. All done now and the difference is magic, no more brake shudder or pull, smooth as. Cheers for all the help.