Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shifter Button

mickinst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The shifter button on my auto has popped up (broken plastic stop???). It now sits up maybe 1 inch higher than normal. Still seems to work ok. Any advice on how to repair, replace, ignore it?

ivanski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Series 2
Replacing auto shifter pin

I replaced the shifter on mine and it's a bit of mucking around. You can't get down easily enough to see where the retaining pin fits without....

1). First remove the rubber mat from the "coin" tray infront of the shifter.

2). Remove two black philips head screws secreted away under the "flip down" door.

3). Lift up the rear lip of centre console just behind the power windows switch bank. It's retained by clips that will click out. Remove power window switch connector.

4). Lift out centre console garnish.

5A). The plastic trim around top of auto selector is now in the way. Carefully depress two plastic tabs on its rear edge, then the two on the front. Lift up and retain with a big Bull dog clip on the shift lever to stop it dropping back down and in your way.

OR..

5B). There's a single black philips head screw just in front of the handbrake on lower lip of centre console. I think I removed this the second time and found I could pull the trim plate down and out to acess gear selector gate from the drivers side.

6). Search around for a 10mm rolled pin which has probably slid out and is lying in the carpet edge somewhere. This is the detent pin used to give the "click" feel between gears and lock selector in Park position.

7). If pin has fallen out, selector button stands proud 20mm as it has nothing to retain it under spring load. The selector button is not just the button on top but also has a long shaft that goes through gear knob to a plastic selector gate.

8). Press pin back into hole in long plastic shaft. Use long nose pliers to manouver into place. There's a slot in the metal gear lever that allows pin, and push button, to move up and down. Should feel slight resistance as rolled pin is designed to grab and stay in place.

9). If you can lift your button out of gear knob and the tail of plastic shaft is broken, well then you need Ebay. No amount of super glue will put it back together without re-breaking. I've noticed occasional chromed buttons available. Just make sure it suits VT & VX as is believe VY & VZ shifter is different.?? Remember without this pin posatively selecting gears, you'll be able to click through without pushing down a button. Finding reverse while driving may look good for the Dukes of Hazzard but it's not funny when its your commodore doing lock up stunts.

Have fun.
Ivan