Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT central locking problem

Fritz_

Reaction score
Hey guys.

My central locking isnt working at all. I didnt do anything out of the ordinary, it just stopped working.

I've searched the forums but all the posts are 'central locking stopped working after i installed blah blah' and all the posts that are asking the basic question I need to answer to have no replies.

Is there a battery in these central locking keys ??
Could I have blown a fuse ?? Which fuse am I looking for ?
Who do I see for parts if I need them ?

Thanks guys.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The key head does have a battery and when the battery goes flat you are meant to buy a new key head. People have pulled them apart and replaced the battery successfully but they are glued together and you have to pull them apart carefully. There is no fuse for the central locking. I take it you don't have a spare key to try. If your key battery is OK then there could be a problem with the the key head or the BCM or the receiver module which is situated in the centre of the dash near the windscreen.

Loopy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
This happen to me, Dealer replaced both key heads $90 bucks each & didnt work then replaced some computer control box $900 still didnt work then found a squashed antennae lead leading to computer for remote pick-up, replaced it and now works, wouldnt take other parts back as they were a computer item and wouldnt do refunds on them. I dont go there no more

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
This happen to me, Dealer replaced both key heads $90 bucks each & didnt work then replaced some computer control box $900 still didnt work then found a squashed antennae lead leading to computer for remote pick-up, replaced it and now works, wouldnt take other parts back as they were a computer item and wouldnt do refunds on them. I dont go there no more

A very expensive exercise. It's a bit rough when they tell you, you need this and you need that, and when it doesn't fix them problem your stuck with the bill anyway.

effnic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais 5.7L
Yes i have a similar problem with my vx the boot button works fine and when i press unlock the headlights come on and thats it, the unlock and lock buttons for the doors dont work.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
Loopy... for that money why didnt you get legal advice ... at least phone the Office Of Fair Trading .... it's like a lot of shops advertise NO REFUNDS.... it's a bluff .... here in QLD shops have to refund your money according to the law ...

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
When you use the key in the drivers door do all the doors unlock? Same when you are in it and put down the drivers button do the lock/ unlock? At least that tells you the servo in the doors work and then you can fault find.

You supposed to get around 5 years out of a lithium battery. if you noticed the distance decreasing from which you can unlock then the battery might be on it's way out.

Sometimes this happened to me and the central locking wouldn't work. Used the key instead of remote, cycled through ignition and turned off car-then retried it, worked again.

Alternatively disconnect the battery for a while if the remote is OK and let the BCM reset itself. Amazing what it can do! Most central locking fault can be rectified by cycling through a ignition on and off process as I was told this resets the comms between the key sender unit and the BCM.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

effnic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais 5.7L
If i put the driver side lock down only that one goes down and no other. Same thing happens when i unlock it on that one unlocks.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
if all the doors dont lock using the key in the door the problem is obviously not in the key, the central locking isnt working.
check the fuses

Rob

effnic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx calais 5.7L
if all the doors dont lock using the key in the door the problem is obviously not in the key, the central locking isnt working.
check the fuses

Rob

Fuses are fine.