Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT II Front Wheel bearings/Hubs

YByN8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hello,

I’m after some info on VT II front wheel hub(s).

The car makes a wering noise only when it moving, the faster you go the faster and louder the wering noise gets…..

I jacked the front of the car up and spun the wheels with my hands and the driver’s side wheel made the same noise it makes when driving, I checked for play in the bearings and there’s no play, just noise when it’s spinning. I pulled the wheel off along with the brake calliper and pads and spun the rotor, and the noise is still there! This makes me think the wheel hub / bearing is on the way out and needs replacing.

The car also slows it self down quite quickly if you get off the throttle and let it coast on a flat road.

How do you get the hub off?
There are 3 10mm grub / hex bolts in behind at the back of the hub, do you just take them out and wolla or is there more? The car does not have ABS.

Also is there anything else to check concerning this noise?

Thanx.

VSteve

Reaction score
If the bearings are worn then they should make more noise when put under load. Such as when turning a sharp corner.

The hub is not serviceable so you have to buy a complete new unit at a cost of about $400 for a new one.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
If you jack the car up and spin each front wheel, then place your hand on the spring, If you can feel any rough feelings thru your hand then your wheel bearings are shot.
Another good way to check is to take it for a drive and up around 70km, turn the wheel side to side, this can make the noise increase depending on which way the wheel is turned.
You're right on the removal of the wheel bearing/hub, it is just the 3 10mm allan key headed bolts, but i think on the drivers side, you may need to remove the caliper bolts to access 1 of the allan key bolts

YByN8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Thanx for the input people,

Yer I rang Autobarn, they quoted me $185.00 each side for the front hubs.

It doesn’t seem to matter which way the wheels are turned, the noise stays the same!

I tried the hand on spring thing, it feels a lil rough not notchy just rough kinda.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
That sounds like a good price.

YByN8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Ok, how the hell do ya get the grub / hex bolts out that holds the front hub(s) on?

I tried WD40 over and over and over again, then I thought hummm maybe reverse thread! nah still won't move! Is there like a special tool ya need or just more force? LOL any more force prolly snap the bolt.....

any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I've always thought they would be hard to undo. Maybe an impact driver would work.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Best way is to have a 10mm allan key on a socket, but you cant get onto 1 of them, so you need a right angle allan key and use a ring spanner on it to give you extra leverage,
Remember to put loctite back onto the threads, you dont want them to come loose

YByN8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
yer it says in this Gregory’s book I have here to put some Permatex Auto Gasket Sealer on the two mating faces and retaining bolts i'll put plenty of that stuff on it!

What a pain in the a55 this job is, Holden coulda used a normal bolt on there woulda been much easier, anyway, I gues they have their reasons for it...

Thanks for all your help.....much appreciated.

vt com

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
yer it says in this Gregory’s book I have here to put some Permatex Auto Gasket Sealer on the two mating faces and retaining bolts i'll put plenty of that stuff on it!

What a pain in the a55 this job is, Holden coulda used a normal bolt on there woulda been much easier, anyway, I gues they have their reasons for it...

Thanks for all your help.....much appreciated.

so you paid $185 each side for a complete hub assembly including bearing?

did this fix your noise because i think mine is doing the same at the moment