I've used a number of Holden dealers in Victoria and NSW. Some are better than others. Today my VX went in for a 70k service and the guys at Holden came back with the following repairs. As I know bugger all about cars, I thought I'd find out:
A. Are these types of issues common for this model?
B. Are the prices they are quoting realistic?
Here's the deal:
1. Power steering rack is leaking $735
2. F/W/A Recommended once rack replaced. $60
3. Front Sway Kit Rubbers Split $195
4. Wiper Inserts Worn (Smearing) $46 - I can do this myself - but $46!!!
5. R/H/F Tyre Is Bald - $??
6. R/H Map Pocket Damaged $95 (on the back of the seat)
7. Wheel alignment - $100
I wouldn't normally have a problem, but as I paid $600 for the service (inc coolant + fuel injector service)... this is another $1,200 and they want the car for two days!
Although I'd like to get a second opinion on this... I really appreciate any help from the forum. Thanks.
I recon you could get the stuff done elsewhere for cheaper... BUT!
that would involve taking it to a mechanic and then a tyre n suspension place after.... Pain in the arse...
Ur biggest saving would probably come form getting the powersteering rack fixed another mechanic...
The damaged map pocket... the part is like 40 bux and putting it in is a 10min job! its all held on with clips...
Neways, i would probably pop into a mechanic about the steering rack and see what he says...
All the other stuff is minor..
Good luck with it
Welcome to Justcommodores!!
1. Steering Rack leak- is it just one of the boots seals?
2. Wheel alignment- I did it at a Bob Jane afterwards as their alignment was shyte.
3. Sway kit rubbers hmm haven't heard but the price is about right.
4. Wiper inserts- Genuine Holdens are $23 a pair.
6. The map Pockets are cheaper but a prick to install -need to removed back plastic and recliner dial- that split pin is a bugger- so the 95$ would include labour- I did both myself.
7 Wheel alignment- go to Bob Jane. That's a rip off.
It's as though sometimes that a repair is done to facilitate another problem- the biggest problem I have is fault finding - you know your own car and seem to be a better detective than them sometimes. My faulty heater tap was clearly the result of the rooted brake reservoir and spilt coolant caused by them and the undiagnosable gurgling for 2 years was finally the heater tap!
Finding a Multigrip Pliers attached to you link rod after a front chassis bushes repair was a good laugh but shows that sometime mechs can drop off the concentration.
I used to fret about being anal with them but in the end with the process paid-double the labour fleet companies pay you oughta challenge things if you suspect over pricing.
Subsiste Sermonem Statim
All those prices sound a bit high to me. It is not unusual for a commodore steering rack to be leaking. Every commodore I've had has had a leaking rack. If it's a small leak I'd put up with it, because it won't be too long before a new rack starts to leak. That's my experience anyway.
Guys. Thanks soo much for the feedback. To answer the questions:
1. I laughed at the cost of the wiper blades. Will visit Bunnings / Super Cheap Auto.
2. I'm not sure if its just one of the boot seals - they didn't say.
3. Not sure about the leak in the rack - if its a small leak or not. Can I find this out myself or do I have to put this thing on a hoist?
Out of interest, do they still make those DIY mechanic type books like the ones 20+ years ago?
Just on challenging them, one of the guys tried to sell me an aircon clean out where they bom the car. I replied that they just spray Glen 20 down the aircon and leave it.... to which the guy nearly fell over and said "well yeah... umm.. i dont know - but with flu season coming on..." - I ended up interrupting him and saying no way. What a joke!
$100 for a wheel alignment?
go to a tyre joint you can get it done for $60 MAX!
We got rep back, yaaay!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Theodor Seuss Geisel
buy a bottle of "Lucas" power steering additive availible from most speed shops , its a slow working additive , took about a week for it to kick in , now it doesn't leak one drop
I'm only speeding cos i need a poo
why two wheel alignments???
Don't forget (as i found out) half the price you pay at a holden dealer is for labour.
First service I had done I took it to holden, that cost me $1065
Second service I took to Ultratune, that cost me $605, that was including and auto service as well
I suppose like anything else, just shop around... Just dont go somewhere dodgy lookin
But wait... There's more!!
But that's not all!!!
[SIGPIC]C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Pictures\First car\STA60016.JPG[/SIGPIC]
VT Calais II... The Italian Stallion