Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rust around windscreen

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
G'day All,

Sometime ago I posted a message asking for advice regarding reseating the rubber seal around the windscreen on my VXII Berlina. Essentially, the feedback I received was that I would need to remove the windscreen to reseat the rubber. As my concern was more about aesthetics than function I left it as is.

The other day I had a little peek underneath the rubber around the windscreen and noted some rust building up. The rust is approximately a couple of mm in diameter and is right on the boundary between the rubber and the metal. I don't think it has spread underneath the rubber but I'm only speculating.

I have considered my options and come up with the following:

1. I can do nothing and let it get worse.
2. I can sell the car, or
3. I can get it properly repaired.

Now, I don't want to just leave it because it will get worse and cause problems in the future as I have to get a roadworthy for the car every year (I live in Newcastle, NSW). And it will be more expensive to repair. I don't want to sell the car, as it is very clean and reliable. Therefore, that leaves me with the only option of repairing it.

If I do repair the rust, I am pretty sure that the windscreen will have to come out and assuming worst case scenario metal cutting may be required.

1. Can anyone tell me how much I am looking at to repair the rust assuming the worst case?
2. Has anyone out there had a similar experience and what have they done about it?
3. If I have to repair the rust, which I think I will, does anyone know of any reputable places in Newcastle that will do a good job but not rip me off in the process?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Sam

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
mates my best guess would be it has already spread just got my window replaced 2 days ago had a crack an i couldnt belieave wot i seen not bad but very light surface rust, so know i gotta get some money up and im gunna fix it myself but will pay someone to take the window out again.

its under the rubber u only can notice it once the window an rubber is out. the guy said who ever put the window in last time didnt seal it properly as he said the rubber i had wasnt the rite one for starters. ring around and get someone to take the window for u, if u wonna do it u self, my new window fitted cost me 160 i thought that was good considering all the major companies wanted 260 plus highest was 450 fitted n i had to take it to them this guy came out an done it. :)
its good when the little man is cheaper an prolly gets more business

cheers

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
Thanks for the feedback. It appears that the windscreen on my car has been replaced (I purchased the car second hand) and the paint was scratched exposing the metal hence the rust. I have got a couple of quotes from panel beaters and they range from $800-1100 to fix the rust (including replacement windscreen, the one in the car has been thoroughly sandblasted). The reason why it costs so much is that they have to repaint the whole roof due to the mettalic paint. They can't mix and match.

Oh well, it appears that another wad of money will have to be diverted to fix a previous ****-up.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
oh **** thats high lol go get a few b4 u go to the one guy. might get it abit cheaper