Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60E service

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
My babys coming up to 200k, Ive no idea how long ago it had a major... the last one in the log books was 150k and that was 3 years ago >.< So im looking at basically giving the whole car a once over at the mechanics.

BUT as for the tranny service, Ive wanted to get a shiftkit put in for a while so would it be pointless to get a service now and 6 months down the track get a shiftkit put in also? when u put the shiftkit in does it basically cover the same things as a service?

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
Shift kit wont do anything coz its computer controlled from the vt onwards, you have to get i think its your memcal redone to change the shift points.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah but i just wanna know if i get the service now, will the fluids/gaskets ect. that come with the service will be supplied when installing the shiftkit anyway? so basically does it need a service when u install the shiftkit, or does the same items come in wwith the shiftkit package

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
huh? if they crack it open to replace the stuff inside they SHOULD do it but you gotta check with the place to make sure. But dont forget your shifts and their firmness are all in the computer

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im looking at getting a Transgo stage 2, so unless im under completely the wrong impression... the kit does replace a few things in the transmission. So would it be worth getting a service done now on it. or hold off untill i install the shiftkit?

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
trans service

when you get trans serviced get them to turn up the line pressure ,i think it called accumalator, they did my vx now it shifts gears a lot quicker than stock cost an extra $20.00 but cheaper than a shift kit:thumbsup:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
don0xer, when installing a shiftkit, they do replace springs, valves, filter, gasket, fuild, and some replace servos. so if u have a service now, it'll almost be wasted money, coz they'll do a service at the same time. best off to wait until u have the $$ to install the shiftkit.

yes the transmissions from VR up are electronically controlled, but its still all 'driven' by fuild. so by installing a shiftkit, it changes the feel of the gear changes, hence the name :) they change ur original springs with stronger springs and different odds n ends it does make ur trans shift quicker and harder. when purchasing the kit, transgo is an awesome kit, but it doesnt have the 2nd corvette servo, which effects the 2nd gear shift. its only about $30 extra, its worth it!! shifts can be modified via changing it in the memcal (ECU) but changing the boxes internals, is the most effective method

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks ephect, exactally what i wanted to hear :)

The transgo hd2 kit on ebay atm goes for around $280-350~ is that a good kit? would that come with the 2nd servo or best just to ask the mechanic putting it in to put another one in?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Mate ive just ticked over 200,000 and i pulled my gearbox out to get it serviced and beefed up (and to do rear main seal also).
It was serviced, upgraded boost valve and a billet servo put into it + some other tweaks to get a better shift. This cost me $450. After i put it back i found my 3/4 bands were shot to **** and couldn't handel the firmer shifts. $500 later i got new r/1/2 bands and 3/4 bands put in (best you can buy) and it is awsome, shifts are firm (too firm for 235 tyres they just give up shifting into second.)

This box is better than any shift kit could make it, and im not saying this is what you should do shift kits are fine, just be prepared for things to break on a 200k box. At least get your 3/4 bands done while your there. (around $200 but money well spent, makes things last longer)

and3rs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive V6
thats all the info i've been looking for too;) hey bro u should check out this ebay store http://stores.ebay.com.au/Furious-Performance hes got transgo 4L60E HD2 kits for $227 i don't know his shipping rates tho.
I'll be getting one next pay day:D

i was having a look at transgo's site today and they recken any car with a 4L60E transmission up to 1997 will be alright straight up for a shift kit but from 1998 onward u MAY need ecu programing to make it work properly, I got a 97 VT tho He He. there an american company so its hard to say whether from 98 onwards u need ecu mods on a holden.:confused: