Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is this normal

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
Is it normal to see the spark flowing through the leads in the dark when i give the car a sharp bit af peddel

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
hi, how old are your leads? i do not think that is normal:confused:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Is it normal to see the spark flowing through the leads in the dark when i give the car a sharp bit af peddel

I would suggest not... If you can see a spark then it would indicate that the leads could be cross firing... might be an idea to replace the leads, and where possible, make sure they aren't touching each other.

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
What you're seeing is high voltage tracking from the leads to another point outside the leds, which means that they are breaking down which is not good. I have heard that a very faint trace around the leads may not indicate a problem (I am guessing that the HV in the leads may ionize the air around them & maybe cause a discharge that way) but if the trace is fairly visible I would say you need to replace them. You can look at where they are tracking and add some extra insulation to those points also, this might help prevent lead breakdown at these points in the future (e.g. I insulated the engine lifting hook on my VP, as this used to come in contact with the leads from time to time)

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
What you're seeing is high voltage tracking from the leads to another point outside the leds, which means that they are breaking down which is not good. I have heard that a very faint trace around the leads may not indicate a problem (I am guessing that the HV in the leads may ionize the air around them & maybe cause a discharge that way) but if the trace is fairly visible I would say you need to replace them. You can look at where they are tracking and add some extra insulation to those points also, this might help prevent lead breakdown at these points in the future (e.g. I insulated the engine lifting hook on my VP, as this used to come in contact with the leads from time to time)

saying that, check the leads for "white dots/spots/lines etc" these indicate where they are braking down.

glowworm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exective
thanks

Thanks guys the leads are 2 months old and are Bosch leads i was told they are good sooo can any one tell me the best leads to buy thanks

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Thanks guys the leads are 2 months old and are Bosch leads i was told they are good sooo can any one tell me the best leads to buy thanks

I personally like Top Gun leads, ive had mine for nearly a year now and they are still working perfectly.