Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Smell inside the car.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Howdy all,

Hope your having a great day!

I got my VX standard 6 cylinder commodore (120,000km) converted to LPG (payed next to nothing with the WA & Fed rebates). The LPG has always runs fine, its been converted for close to six months.

I always run it on petrol first thing in the morning for at least 5 minutes before switching to LPG.

Today, I put in a full tank of 98 RON. I want to give her a full tank of petrol without switching to gas. I guess its to clean out the pipes, well thats what I've been told. After driving stop start, engine on and off (furniture shopping) all day, I notice a strong petrol smell inside the cabin towards the end of the day. I drove home and the smell didn't fade away much.

Now i did put the foot the the floor whist accelerating a few times today (I usually don't have a led foot), but not so much near the end of the day when I started noticing the smell.

Any cause for concern here?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'd be checking the fuel line connections for a small leak. If you can smell it, there is probably a leak. Sometimes the smell can come from the charcoal cannister near the fuel tank.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I'd be checking the fuel line connections for a small leak. If you can smell it, there is probably a leak. Sometimes the smell can come from the charcoal cannister near the fuel tank.

correct me if im wrong,but if there is a leak, should i smell it when i first start driving not about an hour later?

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
should convert to straight gas bud its better and u get more power out of her and she will run more smoother then ever.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
correct me if im wrong,but if there is a leak, should i smell it when i first start driving not about an hour later?

You would think so, but maybe the leak occurs when it gets hot and loosens up a bit. Like I said, the smell could be coming from the charcoal cannister. Also, how is the petrol cap seal?

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Have you played around with the engine much??
Sometimes if the fuel rail has been removed a few times they get loose around the reg where the plastic line fits over the reg.

I had a leaky injector that wasn't sealing properly and it gave a fuel smell off when the engine got hot

DarkCrystal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Had the same prob... BUT it took me about 3 months to solve and do i feel like an idiot!! I had a leaky bottle of injector cleaner in my glovebox :bang: