Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First commodore experiences

jessedevery

JSD334
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
just got me thinkin bout my first commodore memories.... 1989, i was 3 years old slammed my thumb in the door of the vk sl......ahh the memories .. also in in 1996 my mums 5sp vn wagon spontaneously ignited in the garage at 2am...lucky a neighbour woke us up and called fire brigade, blah blah....was dodgy electrical fault, arson investigators ...scary.... entire upholstery and dash incinerated....she still drove it for another coupla years....only the dash was fixed.....was the car i learnt to drive in with not used tires...not retreads....but used retreads......

any thoughts.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
I was really young and sitting in my aunties vb, I think it was and watching teh econometre... it was zooming all over the place and it seemed that it was really complicated to drive the car, like you had to monitor that gauge, compared to my mums kingswood wagon...

Seems like it is immpossible to imgine now, with all the complexity and computers! Not that I mind, all the innovations.

n0tepad

Reaction score
Website
www.joshsgasandplumbing.com.au
Members Ride
VX Calais V6 Supercharged
we had a busted ass old vc commodore in 1989 and it was just poo but the blue 202 was a freak. that engine hauled ass for a 6 but the most impressive feature of that car was the check straps on the front doors. they were so bad they tore holes in the pillars and when you closed the door the check strap and the section of pillar they were originally attached to would just swing into the mangled hole in the pillar.
my first car was actually a VH in 1994 and it was such a faithful car that it converted me to holden.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
just got me thinkin bout my first commodore memories.... 1989, i was 3 years old slammed my thumb in the door of the vk sl......ahh the memories .. also in in 1996 my mums 5sp vn wagon spontaneously ignited in the garage at 2am...lucky a neighbour woke us up and called fire brigade, blah blah....was dodgy electrical fault, arson investigators ...scary.... entire upholstery and dash incinerated....she still drove it for another coupla years....only the dash was fixed.....was the car i learnt to drive in with not used tires...not retreads....but used retreads......

any thoughts.

She continued driving the VN even after the fire? Did she get the interior (and most importantly, the electrical system) properly repaired? If it was me, I would've scrapped that car and started fresh, there's no way in Hell i'd drive a car with known electrical problems...

Anyway, my first experience with a Commodore that I can remember was when i was about 4 when my grandparents took me for a ride in their then brand new cream VL Exec, i loved that car, it seemed so nice and classy.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
wasnt a commodore.. but my first drive was in a '74 (i think) Kinger. '3 on the tree' manual. Was my uncles paddock basher and he always used to park it under the tree for me to wash it for him. $5 was the reward for my troubles, which was HUGE for a 9 year old!

One day i washed it, then sat in the drivers seat for a while and pretended i was a big person driving his car. I remember watching my uncle drive it, so i knew how to change the gears. One hour later of stuffing about working out which gear was which, and i was off!! Got in a lot of trouble for that haha. I recall my aunty saying to my uncle that she was washing the dishes, then she saw the Kingswood take off down the dirt track without a driver!!

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
double post.. deleted

Last edited:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
first commodore memory was a knobhead who was always travelling the highway when we came through, terrible driver. we always recognised him through his numberplate ???COW
first time in one though was when my old split, mum needed a car so she bought a vk (i think it was an exec) for 5k (damn good cond) but her fella took it when they split and she had to keep paying it off. then a mate had a fully resto'd vh with a blue 202. he picked me up from the next town and we made the 25 minute trip in about 8

jessedevery

JSD334
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
She continued driving the VN even after the fire? Did she get the interior (and most importantly, the electrical system) properly repaired? If it was me, I would've scrapped that car and started fresh, there's no way in Hell i'd drive a car with known electrical problems...

Anyway, my first experience with a Commodore that I can remember was when i was about 4 when my grandparents took me for a ride in their then brand new cream VL Exec, i loved that car, it seemed so nice and classy.

well its all well and good to start fresh for people who buy a commo for its holden-ness but she needed the car, got it sorted out, eventually the water pump went and she sold it for 400, conveniently, i just got my P's and my car so she scammed rides off me for a year

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Still, regardless of the need for a car, there is no way in Hell you'd get me to drive a car with known electrical problems, no matter what sort of car it was. If I was her I probably would've sold the VN to the wreckers and gotten like, a Corolla or something...not a Commodore, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about it spontaneously combusting again.