Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with coolant/radiator flush

[NatHAn]

Reaction score
Hi,
Im just about to do a radiator flush on a VT V6 and have a question about replacing the coolant. The coolant i got (Nulon) says to mix it 50/50. Do i put the 5 litres of plain coolant in the little coolant pump and then put the 5 litres of water in the radiator, or do I pre-mix the water and coolant together?

Also i got a radiator cleaner from supercheap. do i put all of the little bottle in? it doesn't say anything on the packaging.

Sorry its my first time doing this. Any helps appreciated

Thanks.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
depending on the distructions on the bottle, normally its the whole bottle of flush and run for 15-30 minutes. dump that then tip you coolant into the radiator, fill it with water, some will flow back over the top of the radiator before the thermostat opens, just keep topping it up, whack the lid on and bleed it.

[NatHAn]

Reaction score
depending on the distructions on the bottle, normally its the whole bottle of flush and run for 15-30 minutes. dump that then tip you coolant into the radiator, fill it with water, some will flow back over the top of the radiator before the thermostat opens, just keep topping it up, whack the lid on and bleed it.

Sweet thanks buddy

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
sometimes they are supposed to be mixed with some warm water (the flush) first. some dont. just let the car idle, not driving around all over the place. make sure the heater is full on, to allow circulation.

when draining, allow to cool first. remove bottom hose, then thermostat, then any drain plugs. flush radiator top to bottom with hose, then vice versa. run hose through thermostat housing through block. drain & clean overflow tank.

Put together again. Fill using coolant mixed with Demineralised water, not tap water. tap water has minerals and chemicals which cause various deposits in the system.

Fill system and overflow tank. put everything back on. run car until warm & coolant flowing. open air bleed screws, allow air bubbles to escape until there is no more air bubbles (a small stream of hot coolant only), then do them up again. Top up as neccisary.

Like stupa said, you can mix it in the engine. but then make sure that if you do you pour a little coolant into the overflow tank also. In all reality, its probally easier to just mix it in a bucket, or if you have one, a clean watering can, with the spray tip removed, like found at your local servo. just dont use tap water in the coolant. spend the extra $5 and get the proper demineralised water!

:)

[NatHAn]

Reaction score
sometimes they are supposed to be mixed with some warm water (the flush) first. some dont. just let the car idle, not driving around all over the place. make sure the heater is full on, to allow circulation.

when draining, allow to cool first. remove bottom hose, then thermostat, then any drain plugs. flush radiator top to bottom with hose, then vice versa. run hose through thermostat housing through block. drain & clean overflow tank.

Put together again. Fill using coolant mixed with Demineralised water, not tap water. tap water has minerals and chemicals which cause various deposits in the system.

Fill system and overflow tank. put everything back on. run car until warm & coolant flowing. open air bleed screws, allow air bubbles to escape until there is no more air bubbles (a small stream of hot coolant only), then do them up again. Top up as neccisary.

Like stupa said, you can mix it in the engine. but then make sure that if you do you pour a little coolant into the overflow tank also. In all reality, its probally easier to just mix it in a bucket, or if you have one, a clean watering can, with the spray tip removed, like found at your local servo. just dont use tap water in the coolant. spend the extra $5 and get the proper demineralised water!

:)

You just confirmed what i was about to do thanks heaps. Just one more question, where can i get this demineralised water?

Also whats the overflow tank?

sorry for the noob questions.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
[NatHAn];655869 said:
You just confirmed what i was about to do thanks heaps. Just one more question, where can i get this demineralised water?

Also whats the overflow tank?

sorry for the noob questions.

Any supermarket should have demineralized water. Make sure your Nulon coolant contains Etylene Glycol, if it doesn't then don't use it.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Demineralised water? Cant hurt, batteries certainly, but IMHO, depends on your domestic supply. Melbourne water is fine, its not like the scale that can build up in a hot water service as we are not continually adding new water to a radiator(contaminants to the system) Basically once you put the water in there it will be quickly contaminated anyway. For anyone that doubts that, put some pure water into a freshly flushed block, run the engine for 5mins, take it out and test it, you could try drinking it if you wish.... Its going to be much worse than any tap water that tastes clean

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Quick question; how many litres does my vt v6 take? in total how many litres. or do i just pour in the 5L of coolant and the rest demin water?