Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing rear brake pads

lizard199

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
how do i change the rear brake pads on a 00 vt commodore with ABS

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Slightly undo the wheel nuts, jack it up, undo wheel nuts and remove wheel. Undo the bottom slide pin bolt on the caliper and then move the caliper upwards to reveal the pads. Pull pads out, put new ones in. Use a gee clamp to push the piston back into the caliper (keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder when doing this as it may over flow). Put some loctite on the thread of the slide pin bolt and reassemble making sure that the springs on the pads are square on the caliper. Pump the brake pedal a couple of times to push the piston out again. No need to worry about the ABS because the sensors are nowhere near the rotors.
In other words, it's exactly the same as doing the front pads.

Last edited:

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
changing rear brakes

how do i change the rear brake pads on a 00 vt commodore with ABS
i personaly would not pushing the brake fluid back to the master cylinder, crap can stuff your abs module, do a search on this subject, its easy just to undo your bleed nipple a bit when pressing back the pistons:thumbsup:

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Wouldn't hurt to re-grease the slide pins at the same time. From memory, I had to make a thin section spanner to hold the slide pin from turning when undoing and tightening them.

Pablo

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
I done a DIY on rear brakes for my VX on another forum..

let me know if you or anyone else is interested and i will post it.
Cheers

Dave

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
this reminds me... must buy a bottle of brake fluid before I start working on replacing the front hubs and all 4 rotors + pads.... ;)

In my opinion it's better to bleed the brakes at every pad change. You may find that your brakes weren't as good as they used to be not just because of the worn pads but also an air bubble or two. I figure, while you're working down there you might as well do it. Oh, and it will cost you very little extra to buy the fluid.

It's important never to reuse a bottle of brake fluid. Use it once and if there is anything left over once all the topping up is done on the day you changed the pads, then toss the bottle (responsibly of course). Opened bottles have their seal compromised and this can lead to condensation and water contaminating the brake fluid. Not only does it change the hydraulic properties of your brakes but it can also lead to corrosion and damage to your brake system. Don't risk it. Buy new fluid today! :D tehehe (all seriousness though, always use brand new fluid for the aforementioned reasons)

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Brake fluid also breaks down over time. Heat from braking deteriorates it and it loses its ability to maintain pressure. It's a very good idea to flush the system at every pad change or about every 20k.

How did your old man go at golf yesterday?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Is it possible to flush your brake system yourself or is it best left to the experts