Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt ss front wheel bearing noise

rox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
Hi, I have got 99 vt ss, i am going to have to replace the front wheel bearings but I have heard that it is all one assembly now and you can`t just buy new wheel bearings, is this true?,
the diff also makes a whinning noise when backing off or going down a hill, how can this be fixed and how much will it cost.

very greatfull for any help.
brisbane

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As you heard, you can't replace the bearings because it is a sealed unit ( hub assembly) They last a very long time. What makes you think the bearings are worn? Some tyres are very loud and can sound a bit like a worn wheel bearing.

rox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
I have just put new wheels and tyres on it. the noise starts at about 90km, i went back to the tyre place and we checked the tyres over and they were wearing perfect. when we spun the wheel the bearing sounded a little dry.

njnathan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C/SPORT 5.0L 5Spd
Bearings
Just buy the bearing kit, the ABS HUB UNIT to Suit VT are Retailing around $190 each brand new from Burson's or Supercheap. First rule of bearing change em in pairs, do the front end.
While you got the front apart, you really need to think about Brake Pads, Brake Rotors, Ball joints, brake lines, Tie rod ends, Steering coupling, etc.
Cause you already have the front end ripped apart it will be cheaper in the long run to replace worn looking parts before they fail, or become an issue.

If you dont know what you are dong go to peddars and get suspension safety check, they will pickup most issues and give you a good starting point.

As far as the Diff goes to get a little extra life out of it, drain all the oil and replace with 100% Lucas Oil Stabalizer, it will shut the diff up for a few months until you can afford a new IRS Diff Centre Will Cost you between $250- $500 depending where you get it.