Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many litres do i put in when doing coolant.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
i have 5L of Techaloy V Plus coolant, i cant find anywhere how much i put in . 50/50 ratio but how many actual litres does the engine hold. do i put 5L of coolant in there and the rest water?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Is the coolant a premix or must it be diluted first? Check the bottle, it will tell you. The VT takes 12 litres when bone dry, but you will never get all the coolant out with the engine still in the car, so it would only take about 8 or 9 after you have removed the knock sensors and drained most of the coolant out of the block. If you don't remove the knock sensors I would say about 6 or 7 litres is all you would get in there.

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
its a concentrate one. i was going to pull the bottom hose off then fill it up with demin water, go for a drive with the heater on, then once its cooled pull the bottom hose off, do it up again and then fill it up with the coolant and demin water

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would add 6 litres of concentrate and then top up with whatever you prefer ( tap water or demineralized water). That will give you a 50/50 mix

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Easiest to probably do what the gentleman previously said, drop you coolant, then add water(add you radiator flush now as well), drive it around with the heater open, then drop that, wait for it to cool, then fill it again, drive around, drop that(to dilute the radiator flush you may still have in their) and then drop that again. Then by this stage any water in the block is pretty clean, then add you bottle of coolant, and top up with water. 4 litres is usually enough (concetrate). Then over the coming days top up with the rest of the concentrate.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I recently did a change on my vt6, left the knock sensors in. Drained the coolant out the bottom hose, filled with demin water to flush, I measursd what went in, and it was just 6 liters to fill. I did this several times, heater on etc. then i just filled with 6 liters of concentrate to fill completely. I also drained the over flow tank and did a 50/50 mix to do that fill.
When I once did a sensor out change, I struggled to do a complete 50/50 fill with 12 liters.

Paul

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
thanks for the replies lads. :thumbsup: ill let u know how much it actually takes when i do the service sunday