Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you fit SWI - Jack Pac to VX steering wheels controls and Alpine Stereo??

JustCommodoreParts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Berlina VX SII 2001
Hello and thanks for having me at Just Commodores!

Just wondering if anybody has installed a SWI Jack and Alpine head unit to VX Commodore at all? I have bought an IDA X001 Alpine head unit and still wish to use the steering wheel audio controls. I bought the SWI Jack from the U.S but there is no instructions on how to fit to the Commodore. I am pretty sure the brown wire is the audio control on the car but the SWI unit has four colours to choose from orange, white, yellow and green. I have read on another thread that someone recommended using the white wire with mode 9 but I am not sure. The closest equivalent U.S car I could find to the Commodore was the Pontiac GTO but I don't know if these are the right settings either. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

My regards,

Broderick!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I can't advise you but if you post in the Car Audio section I'm sure you will get some information.

doobs

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY LS1 Berlina Wagon
Ey mate,

Ill try and clear things up for you, Mine is now working 100%.

To connect a SWI-Jack to a VX or VY/VZ Commodore...

You only need to use 3 wires on the SWI-Jack harness:
  1. Red = Connect to ACC
  2. Black = Connect to Ground
  3. White = Connect to the solid Brown wire on the cars connector
  4. NOTE FOR VY/VZ: You need to earth the black/yellow wire on the original car harness

To ensure you have the right brown wire, with the car off, put one end of a multi meter into the brown wire and the other to ground, and push each button, you should measure:
NOTE FOR VY/VZ: Ensure you have the black/yellow wire earthed or the resistances will be incorrect.

• VX - SWI JACK MODE NUMBER 9
  • Mode = 21.78K Ohms
  • Next UP = 11.78K Ohms
  • Next Down = 7.03K Ohms
  • Mute = 3.7K Ohms
  • Vol UP = 1.4K Ohms
  • Vol Down = 1.9 Ohms
  • NOTHING PUSHED = Infinite Ohms

• VY/VZ - SWI JACK MODE NUMBER 3
  • Mode = 1.47K Ohms
  • Next UP = 790 Ohms
  • Next Down = 460 Ohms
  • Mute = 280 Ohms
  • Vol UP = 160 Ohms
  • Vol Down = 80 Ohms
  • NOTHING PUSHED = 3.66 KOhms

You do not need to solder any resistors on to the buttons.

The rest is fairly streight forward, and will depend on the head unit you have.

For an Alpine unit, Choose number 1 on the dial switch on the SWI Unit, and follow the sequence in the manual to program it.

A Tip for alpine units,
IF you try and program both the PRESET UP or DOWN AND the TRACK UP or DOWN to the same button, when you are playing an MP3 disk you will skip folder, not track, this is because PRESET UP and DOWN are first in the programming order and over wirte TRACK UP and DOWN, to skip tracks, you must only program one button to be TRACK UP and DOWN.

I have the following program:
  • Mode = PRESET UP
  • Next UP = TRACK UP
  • Next Down = TRACK DOWN
  • Mute = Mute
  • Vol UP = Vol up
  • Vol Down = Vol down

That way I can skip folders and tracks in MP3 mode, and still change stations in radio mode

Hope that helps... Certainly beats paying $220 at strathfield for a CAT10 when a $50 ebay unit can do the job

Last edited:

CLB6L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport 05
G'day all
I have just finished installing the SWI-Jack to my Vz Clubsport. I found I also had to earth the black/yellow wire which was in the original stereo wiring harmess. When it was not connected I got power to the unit but was not able to make any settings. If you are unable to access them there for some reason then you can find them in a plug at the top of the steering wheel column. Be warned you will get an air bag warning if you turn on the key without it being plugged in:bang:.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
G'day all
I have just finished installing the SWI-Jack to my Vz Clubsport. I found I also had to earth the black/yellow wire which was in the original stereo wiring harmess.

I have a VX II Calais and also found I had to earth the black/yellow wire.

kinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
thanks guys, old thread I know but very helpful

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks guys, old thread I know but very helpful

I am new to this. I would like to know how it works and where to get this little gizzmo????

cheers

doobs

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY LS1 Berlina Wagon
The SWI unit works by interpreting the resistances created by the steering wheel buttons, and then converting them into a format your head unit understands.

They are always available on ebay

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
The SWI unit works by interpreting the resistances created by the steering wheel buttons, and then converting them into a format your head unit understands.

They are always available on ebay

Would it work on my VT Spack ? I've got the 2 part steering controls.Or is it BCM dependent?