Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine warning light and traction control off?

Jom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
hey guys

i've noticed that sometimes when i start my VX berlina the engine light will come on and the traction control off light will appear.

i read through the common VX faults, and it said that this is a common issue which was rectified in later models.

QUOTE - from VX Faults Page
"Traction Control - The Traction control warning lamp and engine check lamp may illuminate in Some VX V6's, due to oversensitive PCM calibration. GMH have found there was some software timing issues in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), and revised PCM software was introduced early 2001."

Have many people experienced this, and does anyone know whether this is something that can be fixed?

Jom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
No one else had this happen?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
i had this problem six month's ago it turned out to be tps.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the software fix is dependant on the code logged when it faults, get the code read & see what it indicates

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
try cleaning the abs plug it can get dirt in s!@t in it that causes it to read as a fault

crazymaso

Reaction score
where is the abs plug located?

also sorry for replying 2 such an old topic...

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Your ABS electronic module is buggered. Your best bet is to replace with a new ABS module. This is the black plastic bit located near the upper left hand side of your engine bay. Its fairly simple to remove and replace and it shouldn't affect your brakes if you leave the aluminium block untouched. You can still drive your car without the black module bit.

This is a known problem with the older VT-VX due to an inherent problem in the electronics of the old version Bosch ABS module, which can be repaired, but it isn't worth the effort.

While it may be tempting to replace with one from the wreckers, chances are it'll be the same old version which will eventually give you the same headaches later down the track.