Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Servicing rip-offs

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
For the people who take their cars to a Holden Servicing for servicing and getting your log books stamped, how many of you are aware of what work has been done to your car? Do you believe the reports on the receipt given to you at the end of the service to be reliable and reflective of the work that was actually done to your car?

I think it is time that somebody investigates this industry. I am not sure how widespread the problem is, but it certainly should stop because people are getting ripped off. I will be mentioning branches here and I will make no apologies for exposing names because I was a victim here and I believe the sooner this sort of practice is stamped out, the better for all of us.

i. I was charged $37.30 to replace wiper blades. The wiper blades were replaced by myself at my own expense prior to the servicing. The wiper blades were never replaced during servicing nor was there any indication they were changed at all.
ii. I was charged $32.70 to rotate and balance tyres. The tyres were never rotated nor should I believe they were balanced during servicing either.

i. I was told that it would cost nearly $700 to replace the engine mounts when I took my car in for a 110,000km servicing. The only explanation was the mounts sag for a car at this age (10 years). I have told them not to replace the mounts. I will be taking this issue to an independent mechanic for the second verdict.
ii. I was told it would cost me $240 to machine my disc brake rotors. The explanation given here was there were groove marks on the surface on my disc rotors. This would not be possible because I don't drive my car aggressively all the time and my car has never been off-road. I have told them not the machine my rotors and again I will be taking this issue to another mechanic for their verdict.
iii. Part of the cost of servicing included checking all the lights. The driver side front low beam was not working when I picked my car up. I rang them up as soon as I could and I mentioned to them that I believe the service technician probably did not check the lights as required. Thankfully I will be having this light bulb replaced for just the cost of the bulb only $26.
iv. What was supposed to be a regular servicing that I expect to cost me at most $700 was going to blow out to $2400 if I proceeded with the "repairs". As you would expect, I was not impressed.

How many of you have experienced problems with Holden Servicing? Do you notice that you're getting charged for brake fluid flush or a radiator flush at every servicing when it is not actually required? Or perhaps being charged for hoses or clamps or other miscellaneous items that you may have noticed was not actually put into your car? Or maybe even items removed from your car, never replaced or even stolen?

I will be launching a complaint to Consumer Protection here in WA about my case. If we have enough complaints or cases listed here, we could take it up to Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) to investigate the industry.

If we all highlight this issues and we can stop this happening everywhere else, then we all will benefit. Just keep in mind though, I am not referring to rogue mechanics, backyard mechanics, third parties etc. The issue here is Holden Service Department itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
your disc would need machining at thoose kms,have you ran your pads down low, you ca get replacement discs for about $45.00 each, about one hour labour, your wiper blades ive would off argued a bout them.personelly i think you should get off your arse and learn how easily its to do repairs on your car consumer affairs will laugh at you:wax::wax::wax::wax:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Holden service centres are a business just like any other. They want to make money. You didn't proceed with their recommended work. I agree they are expensive, but it is your choice to take your car there. In WA, you don't need to have mechanical repairs done by a licensed premises as in other states. Servicing does not have to be done by a dealer to maintain warranty.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Your first post on JC is a rant, Welcome.

It is a given that Holden Service leaves alot to be desired. Either continue putting up with it, or go somewhere else for your log book servicing.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
For the people who take their cars to a Holden Servicing for servicing and getting your log books stamped, how many of you are aware of what work has been done to your car? Do you believe the reports on the receipt given to you at the end of the service to be reliable and reflective of the work that was actually done to your car?

I think it is time that somebody investigates this industry. I am not sure how widespread the problem is, but it certainly should stop because people are getting ripped off. I will be mentioning branches here and I will make no apologies for exposing names because I was a victim here and I believe the sooner this sort of practice is stamped out, the better for all of us.

i. I was charged $37.30 to replace wiper blades. The wiper blades were replaced by myself at my own expense prior to the servicing. The wiper blades were never replaced during servicing nor was there any indication they were changed at all.
ii. I was charged $32.70 to rotate and balance tyres. The tyres were never rotated nor should I believe they were balanced during servicing either.

i. I was told that it would cost nearly $700 to replace the engine mounts when I took my car in for a 110,000km servicing. The only explanation was the mounts sag for a car at this age (10 years). I have told them not to replace the mounts. I will be taking this issue to an independent mechanic for the second verdict.
ii. I was told it would cost me $240 to machine my disc brake rotors. The explanation given here was there were groove marks on the surface on my disc rotors. This would not be possible because I don't drive my car aggressively all the time and my car has never been off-road. I have told them not the machine my rotors and again I will be taking this issue to another mechanic for their verdict.
iii. Part of the cost of servicing included checking all the lights. The driver side front low beam was not working when I picked my car up. I rang them up as soon as I could and I mentioned to them that I believe the service technician probably did not check the lights as required. Thankfully I will be having this light bulb replaced for just the cost of the bulb only $26.
iv. What was supposed to be a regular servicing that I expect to cost me at most $700 was going to blow out to $2400 if I proceeded with the "repairs". As you would expect, I was not impressed.

How many of you have experienced problems with Holden Servicing? Do you notice that you're getting charged for brake fluid flush or a radiator flush at every servicing when it is not actually required? Or perhaps being charged for hoses or clamps or other miscellaneous items that you may have noticed was not actually put into your car? Or maybe even items removed from your car, never replaced or even stolen?

I will be launching a complaint to Consumer Protection here in WA about my case. If we have enough complaints or cases listed here, we could take it up to Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) to investigate the industry.

If we all highlight this issues and we can stop this happening everywhere else, then we all will benefit. Just keep in mind though, I am not referring to rogue mechanics, backyard mechanics, third parties etc. The issue here is Holden Service Department itself.

Hmmm... I see a big long rant here for what is really $70 in dispute. They say they did, you say they didn't.... I'd probably err on your side of things on that one.

Case 2 is really a non event. The service department have recommended work which may or may not be required and have quoted a price. You always have the option to get a second opinon and of course see if you can get the works done at a better rate. WTF does it have to do with the ACCC?

Reaper

Last edited by a moderator:

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
your disc would need machining at thoose kms,have you ran your pads down low, you ca get replacement discs for about $45.00 each, about one hour labour, your wiper blades ive would off argued a bout them.personelly i think you should get off your arse and learn how easily its to do repairs on your car consumer affairs will laugh at you:wax::wax::wax::wax:

I don't think you have even read and understood what I have written. Holden servicing charged me for parts and labour for repairs that I had already done myself prior to servicing. This means they did not carry out the repairs at all and yet I was charged for it. This is wrong for any company to operate in this way.

For example, would you be outraged if you were charged for a loaf of bread at a shop that you bought and paid for at another bakery? Do you see what I am getting at?

The only reason I took my car in to Holden is so I can get my log book stamped. I do know how easy it is to carry out repairs myself and I have done it so many times...replaced ABS module, etc etc. so I don't need you to educate me on that subject.

9C1pack

Reaction score
$700 to replace the engine mounts seems a bit severe. It cost me around $700 to have 2 engine mounts replaced and a new Genuine power steering pump fitted at Repco autocare.
The mounts where around $70 each and the pump was about $230

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
I don't think you have even read and understood what I have written. Holden servicing charged me for parts and labour for repairs that I had already done myself prior to servicing. This means they did not carry out the repairs at all and yet I was charged for it. This is wrong for any company to operate in this way.

For example, would you be outraged if you were charged for a loaf of bread at a shop that you bought and paid for at another bakery? Do you see what I am getting at?

The only reason I took my car in to Holden is so I can get my log book stamped. I do know how easy it is to carry out repairs myself and I have done it so many times...replaced ABS module, etc etc. so I don't need you to educate me on that subject.
your car is nearly ten years old its worth stuff all now ,your other mechanic can stamp your book,and if you now how to do repairs why the **** are you bitchin do them yourself and know it done properly to your satisfactoin:wax::wax::wax:

DVS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6
OK here goes,

1. Mum takes car for first service. Get's charged $240 for usual checks, replace oil, oil filter etc etc. Mum drives car back home, few weeks later she tells me car is not driving smooth so I go over and have a look.

She tells me about the recent service she had, I then have a look around engine bay I notice it has not been touched. The oil cap still dirty like engine bay with no signs of it being opened.

Look under car the sump bolt still the same not a mark on it. Oil filter still dirty and grimey. Check oil level, oil really dark and definetly not new and needs a top up.

These next 2 I will just add for the sake of venting some anger.
:ranting: :bang: :shooting: :realangry:

2. Mum get's a letter from Holden, your car has been recalled for an airbag clip etc etc. Call up Holden to get car booked for the recall no problems. Mum takes car to the Holden service on the day booked. Staff member says yes car has been booked in and job will take about 3 hours.

Mum says alright see you in 4 hours. After 4 hours she comes back to find out job wasn't done they haven't ordered the part yet. Need to rebook in again. Did not get a phone call to say we ****ed up, come and pick up your car.

3. Take brand new VE SSV for the stereo steering wheel buttons fix. Pick up car in afternoon all fixed no probs. Get home cousin says to me when did you hit your car. I said what, had a look and the front bar was scrapped up pretty bad.

Long story short turns out they took it for a drive, scrapped the front bar and didn't even have the courtesy to tell me. They fixed it in the end.

Cheers,
DVS

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah Holden servicing is abysmal and they won't stop at anything when it comes to ripping you off and writing up an essay of a bill for you. The only time I go there is to have something very specific done but other than that stay away unless you know one of the mechanics personally.