Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering lock jammed on!!!!!

vxchick

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to the get the steering lock off on my vx wagon. It is on full lock and i cant turn the key.:bang::cry::bow:

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
you may have tried this but, wiggle the streering wheel from side to side while trying to turn the key.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
As Nicko says, even though its locked, you can move the wheel a little bit each way. Move it one one and wiggle it, its like taking the pressure off the lock, then turn the key. The VT's VX's seem to really bad for this.

vxchick

Reaction score
Tried this for about an hour but wont budge seems to be really on full lock and wont budge. Is there a manual way i could get it to unlock?

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
try jacking the front of the car up to take the weight off the wheel. How much play is in the wheel when its locked on. its should have about 5-10mm of play, if its anything less take the weight off the front wheels and try

vxchick

Reaction score
thanks nicko ill try it cause i have no play in the wheels at all at the moment

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
yeh that might be it then. if mine is lock on and i dont wiggle it (or cant) then it wont unlock, but it just needs that few mm of play to get it to unlock.

goodluck with it though, that would have to be one of the most annoying things to happen. so simple but still causes dramas

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Tried this for about an hour but wont budge seems to be really on full lock and wont budge. Is there a manual way i could get it to unlock?

Can you wiggle it at all? sometimes the require a fair bit pf pressure, so try both hands trying to wiggle it either way. If you can wiggle it, then id say its really jammed or you have really flat tyres, i noticed when we had a flat it was so hard to get the lock off.

[EDIT] Nicko has the faster fingers lol, follow his advice if it isnt moving, [/EDIT]

vxchick

Reaction score
thanks tom just waiting for brothers other jack to try to jack it up, i cant wiggle the wheel at all it sems to be really stuck!!!!!!!!!!!but no flat tyres though.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Turn the wheel in the same direction as the lock as hard as you can then try.It wont work if you are trying to go the other way.