Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Wont Start on 1st Crank But Starts on 2nd

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
My Dad has a VT Wagon V6.
It will not start on the first crank, but starts when you release and crank a Second Time. It does this every time. Cold or Hot.
Changed the Plugs, Leads, Tested the coil packs for correct Resistances. Put BP Ultimate in and Put Injector Cleaner in as well. Cleaned out Throttle Body and Air Filter. Still happens.
Checked all wires/connector plugs to all sensors around the engine.
Once the Car has started it seems fine. No hesitation or missing and power seems fine.
Anyone have any ideas on what it might be ???

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could be a fuel pressure problem. It may not be retaining the pressure after you turn it off. When you crank it the second time it then has been primed twice and builds up more pressure. Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and see if you can smell petrol, if so replace it.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
sometimes the key readers dont get the correct immobiliser code form the keyhead and wont let the motor start the first time

and the second time you crank it over it ignores the immobilser code and lets the motor start but it logs a fault code in the immobiliser part of the BCM

a new slipring key reader and new keyheads usually fix the problem when it happens

get your BCM checked for fault codes related to the immobilizer

Kizza00

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs series 2
my vt s does this at the moment, ive found if i turn key to till electrics come up, wait for fuel pump to stop making noise, repeat this 3 times. then it starts first go, so i would say its the fuel pressure ill get it looked at.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
my vt s does this at the moment, ive found if i turn key to till electrics come up, wait for fuel pump to stop making noise, repeat this 3 times. then it starts first go, so i would say its the fuel pressure ill get it looked at.

yeah sounds like fuel filter, pressure regulator or fuel pump seams to be the problem..... Definately something with fuel pressure

Fabio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore executive
Hi i have a problem i have been having the same problem with my car it doesnt always start straight away takes a few seconds but once it has started and i turn the car off it will then start straight away. i have just had the Fuel pressure line and the reg changed. but it still seems to be doing the same thing. also i dont hear and noise from the fuel running along the car as i have heard people been saying. can anyone help if they know the problem? thank you.

Boltonator_VT

Recreational User :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Acclaim Auto
Mine did this too. Nowadays I leave the key in the 'on' position for a couple of seconds before I start the car. I also have the habit of driving with my lights dimmed so when I turn the car on, they turn on immediately. When I do leave the key on the on position. I can hear the fuel pump whirr for a couple of seconds. I reckon its related to a loss of fuel pressure when the car is off.