Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EGR Belt VT

L

LAUREN

Follow up to my VT Olympic not starting.

My mechanics has just called to tell me that my car wouldnt start because of either the Air Flow or EGR Belt (as you can see I no NOTHING about cars) he has replaced the EGR belt first and has asked that I try this out for a week until he tries anything else.

Does this sound like something you'd do for a car that wont start or is he just trying whatever he can think of

Thanks Again!!!

i did tell him to check the Crank Angel Sensor, the battery in the remote and transpoder but he sort of blew me off because he had already replaced the EGR Belt.

???

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
As far as i know there is no belt in the EGR. Stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" valve, all this thing does is let a little bit of exhaust back into your car to help in burn fuel better. sounds like an electrical fault so try a holden dealer who should be able to plug into it and find the problem, if not go to an auto electrician. sounds like your mechanic is grasping at straws....
Cheers

Redfox

Reaction score
Yeah, ecotecmaniac is right. The EGR valve does not have any sort of belt in it as far as I know. Basically what it does is regulates how much exhaust gas is recirculated into the air intake for re-combustion. This effectively reduces nitrous oxide emissions and only starts operating when your engine gets up to temperature. Just for your information, I have actually unplugged my EGR valve wires and it runs fine. Earlier ecotecs such as the ones in the CS didn't have an EGR valve fitted.

I think your best bet is ditch the mechanic (if he thinks there's a belt in the EGR he's either lying or has no idea) and visit a holden service centre. They can plug in a Tech2 and read your computer to find any error codes. That should be able to tell you what's wrong.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Just for your information, I have actually unplugged my EGR valve wires and it runs fine. Earlier ecotecs such as the ones in the CS didn't have an EGR valve fitted.

Hey RedFox, do you know what sort of effect that it has on the engine when you disconnect the EGR? I did on mine for a while there after i found out it wouldnt hurt the motor, but then before i went on a trip, i reconnected it and noticed it idles a lot smoother, but as for anything else...no difference! what about you?

Redfox

Reaction score
Hrmmm I haven't really noticed much difference, but maybe I'm just not very observant. I will try plugging it back in to see how the idle is. I guess you could say that after running it for a while and the engine is hot, it doesn't have the sluggishness that it used to have... but maybe I'm imagining it. Hard to say really. But in all honesty, I'm just happy not to be recirculating hot exhaust gasses back in there!

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
The EGR valve on Commodores is only fully open when the engine is stone cold.

Most of the time it is at least partially closed. It closes fully once the engine reaches operating temperature. They put them in there for two reasons: 1. to reduce cold emissions and 2. to make the engine idle smoother while cold.

Personally, I'd leave it connected, because in most cases disconnecting it makes no noticeable difference. You can be defected in Vic for disconnecting it.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Jeez, i should've known that...i have probably read that a million times....it's connected back up anyways....hey, by the way, do the aftermarket headers accomodate the egr valve? i cant recall seeing any mounting bosses for that on them?

Redfox

Reaction score
Funny thing is that mine is connected back up too... it seems the Holden guys did it during the last service. I don't recall seeing any aftermarket headers with the EGR valve mounting points. Hrmmmm...

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
yeah, thats why i asked, whether it was just my eyes or not. i wonder what the go is there? cant be legal, surely?

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
i know im bringing up an old thread here, but i thought it would be better than posting a new one..

ive got a series 2 VY that has this EGR thinggy attached to the exhaust manifold,
but just recently i have brought a set of extractors that doesnt have any connecting point for this EGR thing.. So is it safe to just unplug this hose type thing and move it out of the way??..

By reading this thread it would seam to be okay to do, but with my car being a VY i thought it might be slightly different? .. and if i was to unplug it is there anything i need to block up so the outside air doesnt get sucked up into the plenum manifold? .. or does it seal off itself automatically?

thanks guys..