Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

putting headlight switch back together

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I'm just wonering how the hell I'm supposed to get this headlight switch back together. I've taken it apart to change the lights, but I can't for the life of me work out how I can get the shaft thingy into the backing with the ball bearings in place.. Whenever I try and put both in, the spring just shoots the other one out he other side. Is there a special trick to get the thing back together? (I'm talking about the bit that makes the switch 'click' from one light option to the other.

Cheers

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
i found putting it together in 2 parts easy first by putting the main housing and dimmer together then putting the backing and the main shaft (the centre one) together then slide the 2 together

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I ended up gluing one to the spring, and using a tiny screwdriver to get the other one in.
****ed if I will ever pull the thing apart again though! Easier just to buy another one

EDIT: This was in a VS, I assume they work pretty well the same way

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
i found putting it together in 2 parts easy first by putting the main housing and dimmer together then putting the backing and the main shaft (the centre one) together then slide the 2 together

Yeah that's all good mate, but how did you get bot of the bearings into the main shaft before going into the backing?

I've tried to press them both in from each end, compressing the spring, but it just slips out when I go to put it in place, and one time they both went flying, so I was crawling around like a sniffer dog trying to find both of those tiny bearings on the lounge room floor lol. Luckily I didn't find them though!