Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chain

veeteecommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
soo i just got a call from my mechanic who says that my timing chain is making a slight noise..... just wondering if any one can give any insight as to how big of a job it is to to replace and fix?
or is it something i can fix my self? parts expensive?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
timing chain isn't that hard to change but id strongly suggest a repair manual
price wise would be:

Chain and tensioner and sprockets: 90-150 maybe...depends where you go...dont go to holden as they want an arme and a leg for it lol (the kit for me VN cost me 130 from auto place)

New oil and coolant and gasket add another 110 so all up maybe 220 if you do it your self but im only giving prices that i had to pay for me VN which should be similar to th vt.

also sometimes (mainly on the VN) the timing chain tensioner can brea, causing noise

veeteecommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
yehh i have a repair manual and it seems pretty easy...but when is anything ever easy?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
No it's not easy. It's one of the harder jobs and is not recommended for the backyarder.

Theoretically it's not that hard. Find Top Dead Centre, rip off timing cover (and everything else at the front of the engine), change chain, sprocket etc and put everything back together perfectly.

You'll need a torque wrench and a fair bit of know how. If you have to ask what TDC is, probably not the best project to do unless you're helping someone in the know.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
yeah leave it to your mechanic..... hes the one with the experience and the tools incase the stuff f**ks up llike one false move you have to retime your vehicle and thats not good......

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
I would be getting a second expert opinion. I have never had the need to change a timing chain in any engine yet. Only time I have is upon a total reconditioning of all parts.
I was under the opinion that these V6's were bullet proof, judging by how some are treated!

Pablo

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
wait timing chain...... ah...... Dont let your mechanic changed it could be the pulleys that are noisey the timing chain doesnt become noisey it starts to go around 290,000k's
its only timing belts thats need to be replaced thats why they changed to timing chains.

Last edited:

veeteecommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
yehhh my mate whose a mechanic said that my pulleys would need to be changed along with my front bushes but that wasnt urgent......thats why i thought timing chain what the hell?

Last edited:

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah its a common fault in the Commodore VT and VX that the front pulleys become noisey.... it happened to me after 103,200 k's i had them replaced at holden with a new pulley but yeah most of the sounds you hear from your car are somewhat the pulleys and definately the front bushes.... do you hear a clunk comming from your car after you start it and while you stear.