Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP - WH statesman dual zone climate control, interior fan no work

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
my mate has a wh statesman which has just had front end damage repaired. its got a dual zone climate control unit.
now, when he turns just the fan on, the fan doesnt come on at all. turn on the auto or air con, nothing comes on. all buttons work and change icons in the display, but theres physically no air blowing out cos the fans arent working.
all fuses seem ok, but i coudnt really find a fuse that said 'dash fan'. i could hear the fan HIGH speed relay clicking under the dash tho. so thats working.
im thinking maybe theres no gas in the air con thus why it isnt turning on??? i know with the units in vt executives for example, you can turn the fan on, but if you push the air con button on, the green light comes on but the air con doesnt turn on, and that means out of gas.
any thoughts? thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The fan fuse (fusible link) will be called Blower. The fan should work regardless of whether the air con gas is low or not. Also check the ventilation fan relay. Other reason could be a faulty fan speed resister or a faulty fan motor.

azzaVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon S1
If these are the same climate control units as the VT, try turning the fan onto its highest setting... if it works, then your fan speed controller has a fried transistor. This unit is behind the glovebox, to the right. There's a 3 pin and 4 pin variant between early and late, they're not interchangeable. One from a wrecker is about $35, or about $70 new from GMH.

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
i thought blower was supercharger.
wheres the vent fan relay, under dash or in engine bay?
wheres the fan speed resistor and fan motor?

i turned fan to highest speed and still not working, although i can hear the high fan speed relay ticking under the dash. so does this mean resistor is ok?

thanks for your help guys, hopefully my mate and i can figure out how to fix it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Both the fan and resister are behind the glove box. Not sure where the vent fan relay is but I did not see one in my engine bay.

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
we had a go at it today. my mate bought a second hand fan which we tried just by unplugging from the original one and into the spare. it still didnt work. i took a pic, is the resistor the white thing with a plug going into it? we'll try one out of my car tomorrow if that works, so we can try to further determine whats at fault. otherwise, where exactly are the fuses i should be checking? as we also replaced some dash globes and fuses today. what a headache...

Last edited:

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
i just went out now to my car and unplugged the white (resistor)???? and it is the same problem as my mates wh. so if the fuses are ok, then this is the fault. but which fuses do i check, before my mate takes the fan motor back in exchange for the resistor?

azzaVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon S1
Behind the metal rail, at the top right of your picture, next to the barcode sticker, is the fan speed control module (resister, if you must call it this).