Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate control changing by itself '98 vt berlina 3.8 ltr v6

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
A mate of mine has an issue with his climate control('98 VT BERLINA 3.8 LTR V6), it changes from what ever setting its on to defrost when ever you change throttle positon then when you back off it goes back to normal?
Any ideas as it really bugs him with the hot weather it make the air/con worhtless.
Thanks for any help Pat.:bang:

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
A mate of mine has an issue with his climate control('98 VT BERLINA 3.8 LTR V6), it changes from what ever setting its on to defrost when ever you change throttle positon then when you back off it goes back to normal?
Any ideas as it really bugs him with the hot weather it make the air/con worhtless.

That would be caused by a vacuum leak, it could be the check valve at the back of the engine, the vacuum tank behind the glovebox, the vacuum solenoid pack under the dash or it could be one of the vacuum actuators.

A vacuum pump like a Mityvac is good for tracing these sort of leaks.

If it's the solenoid pack or one of the actuators, good luck because you need to remove most of the dash to replace them.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
That would be caused by a vacuum leak, it could be the check valve at the back of the engine, the vacuum tank behind the glovebox, the vacuum solenoid pack under the dash or it could be one of the vacuum actuators.

If it's the solenoid pack or one of the actuators, good luck because you need to remove most of the dash to replace them.

Thanks i'll pass the info on to my mate!

VYfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 04 II 3.8

****, I've got the same problem with my VY Berlina! I always have my mode set on face and foot outlets and when I accelerate it blows out of the windscreen vents but quite often when it goes back to normal it blows hot air out of the floor vents but cold out of the face vents.

muneey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
i have the same problem in my vt calais..has anyone fixed theres up and what exactly was wrong?? who did you take it too?? a/c guy, auto electrician??

kyleoliver88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina 5.7lt
wow must be popular problem.

my VT II berlina 5.7lt does it too

coasty

the voices told me to
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe & vt berlina both v6
yeah, mine does it so i gave it to my daughter. easiest way out

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
i have the same problem in my vt calais..has anyone fixed theres up and what exactly was wrong?? who did you take it too?? a/c guy, auto electrician??

I fixed it myself, in my case it was the vacuum solenoid pack but I changed all the actuators while I was in there as you have to remove the dash to do it.
I used a vacuum pump/gauge to track the problem.

It was not too bad but I did have to evacuate the A/C but mine was empty anyway.

The factory workshop manual comes in real handy if you want to attempt this.

HVACdiagram.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P8240062.jpg

P8250075.jpg

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1