Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard starting when hot

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
HI, I have a V6 VT which seems to have a delay in starting when I turn the key. There is a bit of a pause then it struggles to turn over. Bit better from a cold start. I find it starts better if I have the air-con turned off.
I had the fuel pump replaced and some other thing (in the fuel pump area) that the mechanic said had been under a recall from Holden (recall had long finished and I had to pay for the thing)
I have replaced leads, plugs, air-filter, had fuel line flushed, injectors cleaned.
um, I think that is about it.
any ideas as to what the problem could be?
thank you

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could be that the battery is on it's way out or there is a dirty connection, try cleaning the battery terminals.
If it's not the battery then it could be the starter motor getting tight when it's hot.
Get an auto electrician to check it out, he will be able to tell you in a few minutes if it is the battery and often they don't even charge for that.

mickvandamage

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Berlina S2 and '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
i think it could be your crank angle sensor. if your engine is hot a CAS can have the temprement to not allow you to start the car or even shut it down in its tracks as it is going. Does it go back to normal when the car has cooled down??

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention I replaced the battery terminals when the problem first started. But I haven't had the battery checked out so I will get that sorted and see how things go.
HI mickvandamage, the car almost starts without a fuss when it cools down or from a cold start. Is the CAS an easy fix???

mickvandamage

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT Berlina S2 and '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
hi mate, to be honest i have never changed my CAS but i have heard that is is a fairly simple task. it is located just below your harmonic balancer and should be only held by 1 bolt. i think.... i think they can be picked up for around $40 as well there should be some old threads around with a how to on the subject and how much it will cost you.

VT_V6_MAUNAL

black_vt_manual_v6
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6 spak manual s1
hey just letter you know for a mechanic or someone that has the tool the sensor aint to hard, it is behind your balancer and you need to take the fans out and the balancer off, then the cover, and the two 13mm bolts.. without balancer tool its near impossible to do.. where abouts are you..

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
Are you saying it is hard to start like it cranks over slowly or it cranks over fast but will not fire??
If it cranks slowly more likely battery or starter motor connections or problem. If it cranks fast then it might well be CAS, my son's VT had that problem, would aslo just stop dead in traffic. Not hard to change, I think it might be a bitch to get at, can't remember!! Down under harmonic balancer from memory.

markcorinna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi, It cranks over slowly, I will check out the battery and starter motor connections.
thanks