Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT transmission problem i think

K.chevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2
Hi guys i am new hear i own a vt 99 model with 163,000 ks on the clock and when i drive on the freeways my transmission feels like it is slipping and keeps jolting when i slighty start to accelorate up an incline or even on the straight and it will keep jolting and not wanting to go to a different gear until i really put my foot down or i change it down to 3rd on the automatic trans. this will also sometimes happen when i am taking of at the lights a little quicker than usual it will jolt abit and slip a bit then it will grip and take off. But mainly on the freeway and also after a run on the freeway when idling in traffic the idles really drop down to like 500rpm and one time the car actually died and i had to quickly start it then it was fine. can you please help me thanks i think it is either the trans or something with the fuel system possibly.
Cheers.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Trans is probably fine, I'd be lookinjg at spark plugs or leads. When a 4L60# goes it does stuff really smoothly, not jolting. Real smooth means it slurrs the **** out of shifts or just stays in 3rd.

south21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
your engine needs a tune, the jolting is the torque converter locking and unlocking because of the engine misfire a common problem with commodores back to the vn model.
Replace your leads and plugs as chargedvx6 suggested and it will be fine.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I agree with the others, plugs or leads, probably leads. I've had these symptoms many times over the years and it has always been a lead, never a plug.

K.chevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2
thanks guys i just had a major service done on it and the plugs were changed so i am gonna go and replace the leads i will keep you guys informed.

south21

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
They might have said they replaced the plugs but don't be so sure, most places I know just replace the plugs that are faulty. A few unscrupulos places will just clean them (sandblast them) and charge for new ones.

K.chevy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2
yeah actually when i changed my leads on the weekend i saw that 2 of my plugs were looking very old and rusty looking dodgy bastards i will be doing my own sevices from now on the only reason i went to a service place is because i have warranty on my car and need them to fill in that booklet to keep the warranty valid. thanks guys for the help i would have paid like 70-80 dollars for the mechanics to diagnose the problem.