Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff gear question

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
hey all just recently purchased my old girls vt s2 berlina sedan, auto ecotec. had a quick look in the search function but couldnt find what i was after. i am thinking of changing the diff gears to get some more acceleration, was just wondering what ratio is my best option. i believe standard they are 3.07:1 , i rarely do highway driving and dont care bout loosing some economy when i do.

got some big plans for this car when i can afford it but 4 now just wanna do a few small things (not touching engine as it prob wont be in there long)
so diff gears
best option, where i can get them, rough price perhaps?

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
with a 4 speed auto you can afford to go 4.11 gears.while centre is out maybe swap 2 lsd, or spool if moneys tight.you will be looking at around 1500-1700$ for lsd and about 800 for spool.this is new parts and labour.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
If you want an LSD, best bet is to keep your eye open on ebay and check out what cars people are wrecking on forums, can pick them up pretty cheap if your lucky. I would recomend getting it rebuilt and all bearings and seals done whilst your changing gears so the diff and lsd will last.
4.11's are pretty high, i would be going for 3.9s with the auto, they will be spot on.
Prices vary greatly depending where you go and where you get the stuff. If your not in a rush, just keep trolling ebay and the forums

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
cheers guys, i was thinking 4.11's might be the go. i can do it all myself so thats no problem. another question, how strong are these diff's? and will i twist axles if i spool it? my vh is spooled and no dramas there, the vt is my first car i've owned newer than 1982 lol so still getting used to independent rear susp etc lol.