Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to change alternator V6 VT

muneey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
hey guys,

just returned back home after 4 weeks..took the VT down to the shops and back and when i got home i noticed smoke coming from the engine bay.
did the bonnet up and found the bloddy alternator on fire :cry:
have no idea why tho...it is the alternator at the top front of the motor isnt it??
anyways..are they easy to change once the belt is off??
anything else i need to be aware of??

regards

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
Easy as, two bolts running thru it, one bolt holding on the power cable and sometimes a small clip attached to the alternator.
Sometimes it takes a bit of force to slide the altenator out because on of the bolt holes fits tight, just whack the altenator out with ur palm if it gets stuck.

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

WTB: VS SS (VIC)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
got the same problem.. well sort off.. my alternator hasnt caught fire but smoke is coming from the pully and a bad rubber burning smell, as if the pully is ceased and dragging the belt over it.. guessing it's the alternator cause my brand new battery lasted 2 days..

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
first off if your unsure what the alternater looks like , dont attempt it yoursef get some one who knows a few things about cars,it is realy piss easy to do. but bewarned you should it take to a electrain as you might have a short somewhere else, back feeding current to the unit, diode pack/ brushes normal wear out first, easy to replace about $60.00, doing yourself. first noticed by the car not charging, bearing falure =noisy alternator, to set one a light i wouldnt reckommened you do it as it might burn out the new one, then extra$$$ , please dont this as im being offencive , just trying to help you with less heartache

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
cheers mate. just trying to work out if it's ok to drive the car to the mechanics with the belt rubbing..

trying to find some info on how to take the belt off. and remove the alternator..

kingwalker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
cheers mate. just trying to work out if it's ok to drive the car to the mechanics with the belt rubbing..

trying to find some info on how to take the belt off. and remove the alternator..
okay to remove look at you tensioner its spring loaded, cant remember if you go up or down to release you will need a socket on the the tension pulley nut,diconnect positive from your battery,either un plug wire from rear alt, two bolts to be removed alternator in yor hands, WHAT you should do first look on front off car or bonnet and see if got a diagrapm on how the belt runs on what pulley,one way supercharged, air con or power steer,

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
Cheers for your help mate.. thinking i'm just gonna risk driving it to the mechanics, havent really got time to do the work my self unfortually.. i go out bush next monday and the missus will need the car while i'm away..

bit concerned about this smoke but i'll jump start the car and drive it straight there..

thanks again for your help.. here's hoping the belt doesnt snap on the way there lol..