Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DrZ's VXII Clubby R8

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Name: Brendan
Model: VX II Clubsport R8
Year: Late '01 ('02 model but is stamped Nov '01)
Odometer: 150k
Engine Type: 5.7L LS1

Engine Mods: Zero

Exhaust:
- Headers: HSV 4-1's
- Cats: Twin HSV Stock
- Cat-back: Twin 2 1/2" Stainless Steel Manta
(Straight through glass pack centre mufflers tailpipe back, mandrel bent)
- New wide band O2 sensors (not really by choice on that one, they died on me)

Gearbox: 4L60E

Suspension: Kings SSL fronts & SSSL backs

Wheels/Tyres: VZ Maloo 19" Polished Steel

Stereo:
Stock HU
- However I am also running a 1300W Sony Xplod 12" Sub (350WRMS) with a Coustic AMP600s (300WRMS @ 4OHMS when bridged), with the gain turned down low so I don't make my car fall to peices lol

Other Mods:
- LS1 second airhole mod
- Ported HiFlow MAF
- Narva Globes
- Sunroof
- 8.5mm Top Gun leads
- Bosch Platinum Fusion spark plugs
- Hi flow panel filter
- 22% Tint - thanks to TKO

Future Mods:

-Chrome exterior door handles
-OTRCAI & Tune
-Phreddy dash conversion, blue or white LED's
-New headers and hiflow cats
-HID conversion (Inclusion of projectors for the haters)
-Nice big lumpy cam, roughly 232/234 upwards
-3,000 HiStall
-Shift kit
-B&M shifter

Any other suggestions welcomed!

Attachments

• Clubby.jpg
    Clubby.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 716
  • Clubby5.jpg
    Clubby5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 647
  • Clubby6.jpg
    Clubby6.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 620
  • Clubby3.jpg
    Clubby3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 644
  • Clubby4.jpg
    Clubby4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 597
  • Clubby2.jpg
    Clubby2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

1998GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 HSV VT GTS 5.7 Stroker
Looks very nice mate.well done.Good luck with your future mods.

FORGIVEME

no substitute for cui
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 S3 VS STATESMAN
lookin good man cant wait to see this car develop into a monster

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
Looks very nice mate.well done.Good luck with your future mods.

Cheers mate, unfortunately I am still peddling through uni, 'cept I moved outta home unlike most of my mates at uni who are still mooching from there parents :p (don't blame, i would if i could lol). So that means mods might come in a 'lil slower then others on here. But i am almost finished uni so... Who-ray to that one!

But one thing is for sure, I def have the modifying bug. Caught it with my old VS V6 Calais. But there just wasnt enough there so I upgraded to this baby. Havent been happier :D

lookin good man cant wait to see this car develop into a monster

Cheers man. I definitely cannot wait till i turn her into an angry monster aye... 228/230 should give a nice lumpy sound for sure :) Just depends how funds are going at the time of cam install. I might go higher if I think I can afford the fuel for it :p

And if my missus ever allows it :)P) I miiiiight just push for a 427ci LS7 if i win the lotto :D

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Cheers man. I definitely cannot wait till i turn her into an angry monster aye... 228/230 should give a nice lumpy sound for sure :) Just depends how funds are going at the time of cam install. I might go higher if I think I can afford the fuel for it :p

go higher. at least 232/234. fuel economy is mainly because of the tune, and because you are in Perth you are lucky enough to be able to go to Active Automotive (run by Eddy Tassone, he knows his ****.) they will be able to tune this cam into a street friendly cam, have some money saved for a histall too though

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
... have some money saved for a histall too though
Yeah mate, I definitely will, also some diff gears... Hopefully I will have built up the slushbox properly to handle it...

And yes, i have seen some of the work from AA done by Eddy, makes me so happy to live in Perth sometimes :)

One quick Q to anyone that can answer, because I have heard different storries from dif ppl. With a High stall.. say 2,800 for hypothetical sake.. Can I take off like usual in drive. from a stand still without havin to first rev it al the way up to 2,800? And if not if the revs drop bellow 2,800 will it effectively go into neutral? Or is it only activated as such when the brake is engaged? coz i have heard both stories

Cheers guys..

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
a histall works by increasing the stall speed of the convertor. go for a drive, and cruise along at idle in drive. then plant your foot (obviously in the dry lol). it should flash up to about 2200rpm roughly then start to pull from there. with a hi stall it will flash up to whatever the hi stall is (say 2800) and start to pull from there instead, assumably in the power range of a larger cam.

as i understand it, cruising along and gently accerating from the lights is exactly the same as before, it just gives you a higher stall speed

FORGIVEME

no substitute for cui
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 S3 VS STATESMAN
yeah but if you go to big man u loose low down power thats why i like my cam my low mid and top range power improved with massive cams u loose too much low down

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
yeah but you also get the lumpy tough exhaust note, so yeah it is a trade off, small cams are better for daily's