Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Handbrake Adjustment

binghy

Matty 038
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Equipe Series 2
Hey all would anyone know how to adjust the handbrake on my VY @ sedan.If so how hard is it and what is envolved.
Cheers

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
To add to ur qn, mine becomes useless 3 months after holden adjust it tight.
I seriously dont have to pay them to adjust it every 3 months do i?
Is three something else that is wrong

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
The best way to adjust the handbrake on these is at the handbrake shoe adjuster (barrel type adjuster on handbrake shoes),not at the handle lever inside the car.The handle lever adjustment needs to be backed off all the way, then the handbrake shoes need to be adjusted.This involves removing the rear calipers and disc rotors and turning the adjuster so the discs still turn freely when fitted and the actuation levers have minimal travel.Then the handbrake lever inside the car is adjusted.This will give you a good strong handbrake that shouldn't require adjusting for a while.Too many people take the quick way out and just keep adjusting the handle but this isn't the best way to do it because the levers on the handbrake shoes are at a bad angle for maximum leverage effect.
Hope this helps.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Adjust the rear shoes to 189.6mm

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Adjust the rear shoes to 189.6mm

Yeah,thats what the manual says.But what if the disc inner diameter that the shoes work on is worn or has been slightly machined?
This measurement works for new or unworn discs,but not for ones that are worn or machined.