Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF.....Horn sounding for no reason!!!

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
Ok, firstly apologies if this has already been answered but for some reason the search function wasn't working.

This morning for no apparent reason, the horn on the car just started blasting constantly. It was parked in the shed (the dog was fast asleep in front of it, she fairly shat herself hahaha, anyway.... moving on), there was nobody in sight and the car was locked.

I grabbed the keys and went out to the shed and unlocked the car, the horn didn't stop, I then started the car, horn didn't stop. There were no messages on the panel saying alarm. I then killed the ignition, pulled the key and locked the car again. At this point the horn stopped. I then unlocked the car again and tried to start the engine. It didn't start, just wound over, and the bloody horn went off again, but stopped after about 5 seconds. The car then started OK. I followed the same sequence a few times after and all now seems normal.

As a background to this, a similar thing happened about 4 weeks ago, but the horn stopped by itself after about 30 seconds.

Does anybody have any idea what the hell is going on???

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
check voltage of battery!!
have you installed and aftermarket amp/head unit?? are they switched?? (power cut when ign off)
is the boot/glovebox light off??

low battery voltage plays havoc..

Oakey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon
I've read on here before that it's something to do with a metallic sticker holden put behind the horn - something to do with the air bags - It peels up and touches the two contacts in the horn, and in turn makes it go mental every now and then.

Ok, the sticker thing I have heard of before and sounds like the possible cause, however I am not confident enough to stuff around with the air bag.

check voltage of battery!!
have you installed and aftermarket amp/head unit?? are they switched?? (power cut when ign off)
is the boot/glovebox light off??

low battery voltage plays havoc..

No everything is stock standard and my battery is fine.

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Sounds like the metalic sticker alright.
But this won't stop the engine from running.

Jbird

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY monaro
yeh man its definitely the metallic sticker. My one goes off on warmer days. U can resolve this problem by lifting up the drivers airbag slighty and either put tape over the sticker or remove it completely.

( there is a warranty sticker behind the airbag which is made from some thin alloy, and after time goes on the adhesive wears off and the sticker begins to cringe cause a short which makes the horn go off, it is a common problem with all S1 vys)

pauly5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV6
Horn problem!

Hi, I had the same problem. When the horn went off at midnight. I couldn't unlock the car with remote, and had to pull the relay switch to stop the horn. Anyway the problem was the sticker. Real easy to solve. Disconnect the battery and leave for 15 mins, then at the back of the steering wheel there are four squre slots, using a flat headed screwdriver you can release the horn pad/airbag VERY CAREFULLY! then this will expose the metal body of the steering wheel and here you will find the bloody metal sticker.
There are other posts that have much more detail, but it's basically really simple. you will not want to pay someone to do it. Solved my problem, worth a look anyway.

Good luck
Paul.