Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Howdy Guys,
I'm after some suggestions, the rear tyres on the VY need some attention err replacing, not through any stupid behaviour just through your everyday driving. I knew they would need replacing shortly after getting it but it would appear that time has come sooner than I expected.

I think it's a safe bet to say I am by no means a tyre expert. I had Pirelli's on the VN which weren't too shabby but a bit of a let down in the wet especially on those white lines at the traffic lights.

Prior to that I always had retreads so I'm after some advice on what to get, the dimensions I am looking at are 225 / 50 / 16

I would like to think I look after my tyres as best I can with no silly behaviour of the sort (I'm over that).

Yes, I have done a search already and it would seen as though Falken or Yokkies are popular, price range I guess I would like to limit myself to around the $180 each if at all possible.

Most if not all of my driving is city with very few km's so km's aren't a huge problem as long as they work well in the wet or dry. There will be the odd country visit, but that would be restricted to 2 - 3 trips a year.

Suggest away, I am pretty certain I have all bases covered. I don't really want to wander into a tyre place and go what would you suggest as they will try and sell something which is more profitable to them.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I dont know if you have a Bob jane Tmart ova there but my advice would be to go them, great service and they give you a tyre plan (with one free rotation and preasure check), the plan last 3/4 depending on the tyre and its great.

225/16/50 would be good for the VY, look nice and wide on the road......the goodyear donuts are ment to be great in wet adn dry ;)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Sell the 16's, and buy two 17's and two 15's................ya know ya wanna mate:yeah:
AirStrike :air:

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
lol nah I don't think so, my mind is telling me to keep it stock looking on the outside and unleash the power on the inside or under the bonnet it would seem :my:

I need to keep it stock for a little while yet thanks to my awesome insurance rating :b:

Indy_387

Reaction score
Hmm, not sure. Maybe talk to your local tyre ppl.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Maxxis, Dunlop or Bridgestones Potenza

What about a Maxxis Tyre , brilliant tyre and won best peformance tyre this yr as judged by wheels mag. A Dunlop or Bridgestone Potenza would be a good option and compare prices aswell.

Are you after directionals 2 get the sc ecotec off the lights? :air:

R

RKZ234

I've had Goodyear Eagle GSD's fitted to S Pack rims on our S/C VX and am very happy with them. I'd previously driven a mates VX in the wet fitted with the same tyres before I put them on my car.

The tread pattern makes them very good in the wet. I got 37,000 km out of the first set, covered from October last year to May this year (rotating and balancing every 5000km) and expect to get increased mileage (closer to 50,000km) out of the new set due to wet roads during winter and cold temps keeping the tyres cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
I have 17" 235's and i just buy the cheapest, hardest compound tyres i can find. they out lasted my maxxis tyres by a year and ive even done some chirpys, so unless your worried about traction (wich i cant notice a difference anyway) find hard compound tyres.

Also if you buy them in advance and let them sit in your garage for a while they harden up even more.