Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! My Mileage!

M

mmmickey

Well, first of all a big hearty hello to all of you. I'm glad i found this forum as it seems to be a really good source for my car.

First of all I'm living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates but I was brought up in Brisbane.

Here they have the holden commodore badged as a Chevrolet Lumina.
The LS being the exec
the LTX being the full option exec
the Caprice LS and LTX
the S
the SS
and the S and SS coupe (Monaro)

I just picked up a Chevrolet (Holden) Lumina (Commodore) SS 2003(VY) and loving it. It has 40,000kms on the clock and is bone stock.

I have one problem though - my mileage is freaking incredible. I havent even done 200kms and i'm on the empty meter. My fuel consumption meter says 17.2 Litres per 100kms.

I read through the fuel consumption thread and saw people are getting 10L to 100kms...

HELP!

KiwiSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
kiwiSS

This is pretty normal depending on how and where you're driving. My SSVY2 averages 15 - 17 per 100km in city/motorway driving (with the odd stomp on the throttle..!) and get's down to around 11 - 12 per 100 km driving steady on the open highway. Towing a boat can drive her up to 20 - 24. You should still get about 400 km plus out of a tank though.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
your saying you only got 200k's then it was empty, at about 17 ltrs per 100 k's.

a little maths tells me your tank is only holding 34 litres based on those figures. i tihnk the tank should be holding nearly double that amount.

i assume you didnt fill it right up before you told us it only last 200k's.
it would be much easier to work with a FULL to EMPTY figure... which by doubling your tiny 34 litres to make closer to actual tank size, ill double the k's per tank as well, giving 400k's to teh tank. that my friend is average for your ss.

R

RKZ234

1.Take the time to fill the tank right to the top. The last 8 or so litres will have to be trickled in.
2. Reset the trip computer
3. Do a decent trip of at least 100km.
4. Refil as per 1. and do the calculations
5. Check your air filter. It is supposed to be replaced at the 40,000km service and might have been missed. (presonal experience tells me it is often missed)

Remember that the 6sp man gets a lot better economy than the auto and that topography is also a factor as is driver behaviour.

I've driven a 6sp man up the Newell Hwy from Melb to Brizzy and achieved under 9lt/100km, but the car had to be driven sedately to achieve it and cruise control used as much as possible.

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
Ive got a 5.7 vy tonner and it uses 20l lt per 100 :/
5.7 vy ss it uses 15lt per 100 ks
think its just a usual thing if i wasnt such a led foot it would be a lot better i think

B

BackInBlack

Hi Guys,Ive also noticed poor fuel consumption with my VY SS Ute(even when I drive it sedately!)I also had problems with the fuel gauge moving up & down constantly,took it to the dealership,where they said they replaced it with a new one.I wonder if they really did,because Im still having problems.

rowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
BackInBlack said:
Hi Guys,Ive also noticed poor fuel consumption with my VY SS Ute(even when I drive it sedately!)I also had problems with the fuel gauge moving up & down constantly,took it to the dealership,where they said they replaced it with a new one.I wonder if they really did,because Im still having problems.

Well take it back!

KiwiSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Re faulty Fuel Gauges

I reckon Fuel Gauges vary between cars in how they read from "Full to Empty". Unless a gauge is obviously faulty, it's trial and error getting used to your own vehicle. It's amazing how many people drive around on the "bottom of the tank" - so in my view it's vital to know if the gauge accurate when close to the "E" - i.e. if "E" means "Empty" :b: or "E" means "Enough" :p ...!

My SS uses the top half of the tank more slowly, then the needle moves more rapidly from half way down to empty. When riding close to the "E" I've found the car's digital "km's to empty" readout very accurate, so if your car has that feature, compare that to the gauge. :thumbsup:

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
took my vy ss for a trip on weekend changed the exhaust from cats back and got 11 lt per 100 ks :)
went great and thats starting and stoping aswell :)

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
mmmickey, how are fuel prices in Dubai??? would love to know. in brisbane we are currently paying around $1.10 + per litre. Must be some great open straights over there where you can really step on it eh? what are traffic cops like? how popular are the Lumina's?