Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do I need to know before I buy a VY

F

frenchie2

Hi all, I am very seriously contemplating buying a VY series II S pack with a 5 sp manual. As far as I can make out it is as stock as rock. Can anyone tell me of any problems I should look out for? eg engine, gearbox, driveline ETC.
I would appreciate any advice. I my last ride was a AU XR8 which really was that bad except for the fuel bill. My wife wants a bigger ride than the Subaru Forester, she currently has, and I think this vehicle could be quite a good choice. What are your thoughts? The Frenchman

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
End of the Line Comfort

I have a VY S2 Manual Executive.

I bought it for the following reasons:

1. I have found that buying just introduced equipment can be a problem for reliability. I have been burnt here with Ford, but believe that same can apply to Holden.

2. I have now bought 3 Holdens, a VL Manual, a VS S2 Manual and lastly a VY S2 Manual. While it is still early days with the VY S2, I have had no issues with the other two cars.

3. I had intended to wait and buy a run out VZ (just before the VE introduction), but found out that I would not be able to get a manual without spoilers and body kits in the VZ. I am not willing to pay more for something I do not want.

4. The VY S2 was well established, as was the engine/transmission. It did not contain any significant mechanical/electronic changes that might have a higher risk of bugs.

5. The price I got was hard to turn up. I effectively bought a brand new car for the same price as a 12 month old one, after taking into account the GM Card and Holden Scramble rebates.

I would expect that a VYS2 S pack will give you good, reliable service. There is a sticky on this page where serial problems are discussed. Only minor issues have come up so far.

Even though it is early days with my VY S2 so far, I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Cheers.

F

frenchie2

Thanks for the info on the VY S2. I went ahead and bought it and i am sure i will have many years of pleasurable motoring around this wonderful state i live in, Tassie. Once again thankyou for your input.

Cheers