Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres

Jamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Looking at purchasing VY Calais Mags 16 inch for my VY Executive. Currently the mags have a Bridgestone 225/55/16 tyre. I am looking to replace tyres to 215/60/R16. Are there any problems with this? Does the 215's meet the load index for the vehicle?

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
I can't help you with the wide/profile question (sorry). But I'll tell you this... ditch the Bridgestones (meaning don't replace 'em with Bridgestones) and put BF Goodrich on 'em. They're a shitload quieter and shed water VERY efficiently. I've learnt this through experience as well.

R

RKZ234

Goodyear Eagle GSD2's come in a 225 x50 and 225 x 55 profile and do very well on a 16 inch rim. My cousin had the 225 x 55 on his S pack VX which drove in the wet.

I'm not sure if any GSD2's are still around as the GSD3 has been released, but I expect they would be fantastic as the GSD2's are great.

Whatever combo you go for, make sure you take the car to a dealer so that they can plug in Tech 2 & change the rim/tyre size on the computer to recalibrate the speedo.

O

ozute

I'm glad I found this thread, I was wondering about wether to get the 50 or 55 size tyres, and about the speedo... I didn't realise you could do that to the speedo! What's the go with the tyres, why is there such a minor difference in size?

R

RKZ234

ozute said:
I'm glad I found this thread, I was wondering about wether to get the 50 or 55 size tyres, and about the speedo... I didn't realise you could do that to the speedo! What's the go with the tyres, why is there such a minor difference in size?

50's give very slightly firmer rider and very marginally better handling due to a slightly firmer sidewall. I doubt very much that under normal driving conditions anyone can tell the difference.

The 55's also do less revolutions per km, so this would equate to a marginally longer tyre life and less fuel consumption too I guess.

O

ozute

Ahh very good, so I'll go the 55's... I like big sidewalls lol, i'll go the 55's :D THANK YOU for the info!

hsv_punk

I Just Want One
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina V6
My Berlina came with 215's standard, so should be no problems.

R

RKZ234

hsv_punk said:
My Berlina came with 215's standard, so should be no problems.

The S pack came with 225's on a 16 inch rim.

The extra 1 cm per tyre equates to a 2 cm wider footprint and a noticeable difference in handling. Put 225 55 16 Goodyear Eagle GSD 2's on it and you won't be disappointed.

That particular size is cheaper than a lot of 215's.