Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change the battery in the key remote?

Chad Owens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2
Hi

I know this probably sounds stupid, but the battery has gone flat in my remote, which causes the alarm to turn on because it isn't being disarmed properly etc.

I have had Falcons and Magnas in the past and it's just been a case of buying a battery for a few dollars at Big W, opening the remote with a screwdriver, and replacing the battery. Simple, and cheap.

I rang a holden dealer, however, who told me that the battery was not user-replacable from the VY series onwards, and that I had to fork out $130 for a new remote plus book in a time to get it reprogrammed to the car.

Are they serious!?!! This has to be the dumbest thing i've heard... I'm not forking out $130 for a new remote just because the battery has died... the remote itself is perfectly fine!

Has anyone had success in changing the batteries? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Chad

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
yeah thats right you cant change the battery although if you go to a key shop its about $80 for the key and reprogram holdens charge like a wounded bull they always have or you can even by a key off ebay and get it programed

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
i second that, stupid hey?. the idea above is probably ya best bet!

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
cheapest easiest option is to either go to holden or your local mister minit

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Here's a question though. Is the battery in the remote a type that is commercially available? If it is, and you would have to spend big bucks replacing the whole key head, what's to lose by trying to open the head up anyway to replace the battery? If opening it stuffs the head, you're no worse off anyway.

When mine dies, I'll have a go at opening it first before shelling out $80 or more.

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
the batterys are spot welded in for a reason . do not disconect them !!! this will drops the program out of the key . then you are up for alot more to make a new one . when the buttons go on the key get a new one . dont wait as when the battery goes flat it wont start your car and if you dont have a spare then you need a mobile locksmith and a whole lota cash to get your car started !!! get a spare key !!!

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
You need to buy a new head for the heay, you can get them off ebay for about $50 then another $50 to get it coded to you car.
Its the only way about it, most locksmiths have the required computer to do this, or you can go to Holdens.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
You need to buy a new head for the heay, you can get them off ebay for about $50 then another $50 to get it coded to you car.
Its the only way about it, most locksmiths have the required computer to do this, or you can go to Holdens.

I was told the car would still start with a flat key battery as the battery is only there for the remote. The battery is available with the welded on tabs from Jay Car I think and you can resolder one on and give it a go, there only a few dollars.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I was told the car would still start with a flat key battery as the battery is only there for the remote. The battery is available with the welded on tabs from Jay Car I think and you can resolder one on and give it a go, there only a few dollars.

Yes it will start but you loose all remote functions obviously.

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
i just copy and pasted that from a google search also says if you take out the batery the key loses its program if that is in fact the case the imobiliser wont disarm which means it wont work lol