Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100K Service What should be changed???

VY'er

FluroSSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV Sedan
Hi guys I have a VY s2 exec my 100 thousand k service is due what should I be looking at replacing or asking the mechanic to check and replace will be asking for a major service anything I should know would help thnx.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Yep. You should look in the service booklet of the car which will list everything you need. If you don't have one, you can buy from local Holden dealer or buy from Ebay. Also, you really don't need to know anything if your mechanic is any good. He should know what is required on a VY as they have been around for many years now.

If you want to know exactly, find any Holden dealer, ring up and ask how much for a 100k service and then ask what does it involve. They will advise you buy the book of what is changed.

It also depends on what service history the car has had in the past and what things have been done.

When I got my VZ Calais V6, I did everything I could immediately. This included the following;

Oil and Oil Filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Cooling System Flush and New Coolant
New Cooling System Pressure Cap (equivalent to radiator cap on VY)
Spark Plugs
New Brake Pads and Rotors
Brake Fluid Flush and New Fluid Added
Transmission Service including Oil and Filter
New Serpentine Belt (the long black engine lifeline)
Haven't yet had Diff Fluid Changed, but this will happen before summer with next Trans Service.

That covers most items. But give a Holden dealer a call and see what they do as per service booklet and make sure you do those items as a minimum plus extras if you have the funds as per above. Over servicing a car is not a bad thing at all. It only benefits the car in longevity stakes.

Goodluck

PS: Welcome to forum and make sure you search around before posting up as there is so much info like this that has been talked about many times.

Regards
Matt

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
There's a log book service at 95,000km and the next one is at 105,000km.

Last edited:

slammedvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais, ve ssv
VY is serviced every 15,000kms. there is no 100. the next service is 105 and involves oil and filter and trans service.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
90,000km service is as follows;
Replace engine oil and filter.
Check all drive belts, condition and length.
Check cooling system.
Replace air cleaner element.
Replace fuel filter.
Replace spark plugs.
Check exhaust system.
Check all oil levels.
Check steering & suspension components.
Check front and rear brakes for wear.
Lubricate locks, hinges & latches.
Check all seat belt components.
Check park brake operation (adjust if required).
Check lights, wipers, tyre pressure & all fluid levels.
Check battery electrolyte and fluid level.
Carry out road test to manufacturer handbook.
Clean and lubricate auto trans shift linkage.

105,000km service is as follows;
Replace engine oil and filter.
Check all drive belts, condition and length.
Check cooling system.
Check air cleaner element.
Check exhaust system.
Check steering & suspension components.
Check front and rear brakes for wear.
Lubricate locks, hinges & latches.
Check all seat belt components.
Check park brake operation (adjust if required).
Check lights, wipers, tyre pressure & all fluid levels.
Check battery electrolyte and fluid level.
Carry out road test to manufacturer handbook.
Change auto trans fluid and strainer.

Other things to consider include replacing the engine coolant and the brake fluid replaced. I tend to do these every 2 years. And the power steering fluid it does not hurt to change that once a year.

have a look at this web site; http://www.carservice.com.au/car-service-servicing-guide-2.aspx?makeid=9&carlineid=582&modelid=1315

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
.......Other things to consider include replacing the engine coolant and the brake fluid replaced. I tend to do these every 2 years. And the power steering fluid it does not hurt to change that once a year.

I don't believe that a yearly change is necessary. Obviously changing the fluid will not hurt though. Im a candidate that believes in over servicing my vehicles and fluids more often than recommended, but changing power steering fluid every year is a little bit excessive in my opinion.

Diff oil once a year....yes
Gearbox oil once a year....yes
Engine oil atleast twice a year....yes
Even brake fluid every year if your keen (although I believe every couple is fine for this)
But.........power steering fluid isn't under anywhere near the pressure like other fluids in the car. So a once a year change is not required.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
But.........power steering fluid isn't under anywhere near the pressure like other fluids in the car. So a once a year change is not required.

P/s fluid still deteriorates and it works hard over 12 months. Drain 12 month old p/s fluid and compare it to the colour of new fluid - the difference is remarkable. It's definitely on my regular servicing list after changing it recently, probably for the first time since the car was built.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
P/s fluid still deteriorates and it works hard over 12 months. Drain 12 month old p/s fluid and compare it to the colour of new fluid - the difference is remarkable. It's definitely on my regular servicing list after changing it recently, probably for the first time since the car was built.

Absolutely agree. Power steering does work hard, but not as hard as gearbox or engine oil etc. Definetely agree that it is worth changing. Especially good if it has never been done. In regards to changing once a year, well thats what I think is excessive. Im not against changing it, just not as regular as I do my gearbox fluid which is once a year.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Absolutely agree. Power steering does work hard, but not as hard as gearbox or engine oil etc. Definetely agree that it is worth changing. Especially good if it has never been done. In regards to changing once a year, well thats what I think is excessive. Im not against changing it, just not as regular as I do my gearbox fluid which is once a year.

I changed mine not long after I bought the car, it was pretty dark compared to new fluid and when it settled in a glass bottle had a lot of contaminates ( a white sludge settled after a day or so). The next time I changed it (after about 12 months) it was still dark but had very little to no sediment when it settled.
The fluid is under a lot of pressure and gets quite hot. It is fairly in expensive to replace and an easy way is to use a syringe to empty the resevoir, refill, run the engine and do this 3 or 4 times, you use a bit more but you don't have to undo any hoses and there is no mess and it will get 99% of the old fluid. I believe this will increase the life of the power steering system.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't believe that a yearly change is necessary. Obviously changing the fluid will not hurt though. Im a candidate that believes in over servicing my vehicles and fluids more often than recommended, but changing power steering fluid every year is a little bit excessive in my opinion.

Diff oil once a year....yes
Gearbox oil once a year....yes
Engine oil atleast twice a year....yes
Even brake fluid every year if your keen (although I believe every couple is fine for this)

It's every 27 months for brake fluid so every 2 years is fine. Coolant needs doing about this time as well. Diff oil in a V6 according to the service manual does not need to be replaced unless your towing. It does not contaminate like engine, transmission and power steering fluid. All that is needed on a daily driver that does no towing and is not given a hard time is to check the level according to the service booklet. That said it can't hurt to change it however there is no real need to unless for example water got in.