Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just a general fuel consumption question

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Hey guys,
normally when I do long distance driving...like highways, etc, my vy's fuel consumption sits on, at best,
8.4l/100kms...
or when i take it easy around town it sits on about that maybe moves up to like 8.6l...
but just recently I changed fuel filter, started running it on premium, cleaned the throttle body
and cleaned the injectors.
now at best I can get her to sit on 7.4l/100kms...
is that normal?? because I've never seen it so low is all...
thanks,
kc :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Sounds pretty good to me, dont jinx yourself.

My SS is sitting on 16.2ltr/100km atm.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey guys,
normally when I do long distance driving...like highways, etc, my vy's fuel consumption sits on, at best,
8.4l/100kms...
or when i take it easy around town it sits on about that maybe moves up to like 8.6l...
but just recently I changed fuel filter, started running it on premium, cleaned the throttle body
and cleaned the injectors.
now at best I can get her to sit on 7.4l/100kms...
is that normal?? because I've never seen it so low is all...
thanks,
kc :)

When i first got my VX, I Stuggled to get 600kms to a tank. So I Did a full service, GM Fuel Filter, GM Air Filter, 10-30 OIL, GM Plugs, GM Leads, GM Oil Filter. Be Sure you dont have your lights on all the time.
I now get 700kms to a tank. I Found the GM plugs the best, I tried Bosch plugs and lost 100kms to a tank, no idea why. Also found running your lights all the time looses 100kms to a tank also.
Once all done just be easy on the throttle, i rarely go over 2500rpm. unless i need to boot it to merge over.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Also found running your lights all the time looses 100kms to a tank also.
Something is seriously wrong electrically if your headlights make your fuel consumption increase by 16%. Running the air con might cause an increase like that, but not something like the headlights that only draws ~100Watts.

I run my headlights and aircon all the time and get 680kms (11L/100km~) from a tank. On the freeway it sits on about 7L/100km which would be about 1000kms to a tank.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Something is seriously wrong electrically if your headlights make your fuel consumption increase by 16%. Running the air con might cause an increase like that, but not something like the headlights that only draws ~100Watts.

I run my headlights and aircon all the time and get 680kms (11L/100km~) from a tank. On the freeway it sits on about 7L/100km which would be about 1000kms to a tank.

Yeah Im not sure mate, Its just something i noticed but a guy with a new lancer at work did the same and said it took about 80kms off his tank having them always on. Might have been a week that i was more heavy footed, but it does affect it.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
i gotta drive like a grandma to get 12l-12.2l /100km in my vxII....

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
I have a mafless tuned SS and I'm sitting on 12.6L/100kms. I live in St Kilda (Vic) too so it's not like I'm always on highways.. Highest mine will go is 15L/100kms and that's when I'm punching it everywhere... 7.4L/100kms is friggen awesome dude.. And as for this headlight thing everyone is talking about.. I have HIDs and am a Friday night cruiser and I don't lose anything out of my tank.. Being a sparky too I highly doubt you'd be losing that much fuel from your headlights! Air con I could relate to but not headlights........

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Also found running your lights all the time looses 100kms to a tank also.

:rofl: That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum. Driving with your headlights on will do SFA to your fuel consumption. Best you don't turn your stereo volume up over 3 as you won't make it to the next servo.....

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
:rofl: That's one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum. Driving with your headlights on will do SFA to your fuel consumption. Best you don't turn your stereo volume up over 3 as you won't make it to the next servo.....

Righto, GO Try it your Self, Its what i found in the VX, THe VR, and a Mate at work with his 2010 Lancer,
Ranging between 50-100kms to a tank lost them being on all the time.
And Why is Volvo using energy efficient head lights ? cause running lights does affect it.
Do a test, Have at car at idle, then switch your lights on, listen to the tune change to the engine.