Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LPG Conversion on VY

S

Steve_05

Hi

Am a new member to the board and I'm wondering if someone may be able to help?

Have just purchased an 03 Series I VY Exec (auto) with 55k on the clock. Great car to drive except for one major problem - the cost to run it at today's fuel prices!

I am considering converting the vehicle to LPG but I have a few queries:

1) Is there a conversion most suitable to the Ecotec engine?

2) With a LPG add-on, does one lose the functionality of the trip computer and fuel gauge (ie is the fuel gauge, Litres/100km, Distance to empty (km) and so-on compatible with a LPG conversion?)

3) Is there a noticeable decrease in power over a non-converted Ecotec?

4) Have any forum members converted their VY to LPG? If so, any general feedback would be appreciated.

I have contacted Holden's but have been advised they do not recommend fitment of an aftermarket system. I would prefer not to fit LPG if at all possible, but with unleaded reaching $1.30/litre with prospect it may go higher, Im starting to consider other options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Some answers

HI,

That's a good list of questions. I wish I had the answers to all of them.

I believe that the LPG conversion is about $2,500. If you do high mileage, you would get the money back in a reasonable time. At average mileages, it could take a lot of years to recoup the initial cost.

My understanding is that you would not notice any performance change from the seat of the pants.

Consumption is about 20% higher on LPG, so that savings are not the full price difference.

LPG burns cleaner, so there will be less carbon build up.

You will lose a significant portion of your boot if you go for the dual fuel option.

I believe that filling up takes longer as well.

Sorry that I could not answer most of your questions.

gman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equip
I also have an 03 VY and this is what I've learnt so far.
1) I have been quoted $3300 from Holden dealer for genuine kit which is from Impco. I also got a quote from a company I've used before which was $2700 for the same kit.

2) All the dashboard electronics work with the factory Impco kit. Also, the gas filler is behind the fuel filler flap next to the fuel filler.

3) Not sure if their is a power difference but if I were to guess, then yes there is. My old car, (EF Fairmont) had slightly less power on gas. I've been told that there is a kit for the VZ which uses gas injectors and costs over $4000 and gives you similar power and economy as petrol. I think they also said it will fit VY but can't remember.

4) I haven't converted yet but will sometime in the future. I was getting around 500 km's from full to near empty on gas (mix of freeway & suburbs 68 litre's of gas). Not sure of petrol economy as I never had more than one quarter of a tank in there.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
ring around there are places that guarantee you no power loss with dual fuel setups they just run twin computer setups tuned for each fuel

djherny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina 3.8L
I'm interested to know where you got the $2700 quote from, i know it was 2 years ago, but i was jsut quoted abotu $4200 from a holden dealer :|

I'm looking for a place in melbourne who can do the Impco conversion for a VY II Berlina V6

I also have an 03 VY and this is what I've learnt so far.
1) I have been quoted $3300 from Holden dealer for genuine kit which is from Impco. I also got a quote from a company I've used before which was $2700 for the same kit.

2) All the dashboard electronics work with the factory Impco kit. Also, the gas filler is behind the fuel filler flap next to the fuel filler.

3) Not sure if their is a power difference but if I were to guess, then yes there is. My old car, (EF Fairmont) had slightly less power on gas. I've been told that there is a kit for the VZ which uses gas injectors and costs over $4000 and gives you similar power and economy as petrol. I think they also said it will fit VY but can't remember.

4) I haven't converted yet but will sometime in the future. I was getting around 500 km's from full to near empty on gas (mix of freeway & suburbs 68 litre's of gas). Not sure of petrol economy as I never had more than one quarter of a tank in there.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 5.7
Holden just want your money, I would ring around and get prices. Make sure it is the gas injection system. It runs much better and is more effecient on fuel. I have VT SS on gas with this setup and have no problems at all.

blownba

Reaction score
I do own a workshop in Wantirna and I am a Impco fitter. GENUINE impco factory systems.
I am also a Tartarini and Eurogas vapour injection systems fitter.
If you need a quote or want more info or want to see pics of my work you can e-mail me at;
[email protected]
And I do give discounts for Forum members.

Cadbury Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Executive
I've had mine done, $2990 or something like that. Works fine. The gague is linked to the computer so you can still find out what your efficiency is. It's less powerful of course, but that happens to all LPG vehciles.

Donnie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Black SV8
Im thinking of converting my SV8 to LPG too, i got quoted 4000+ with the injectors, knowing ill get 2Gs back from the government, it still 2Gs that needs forking out...They did say i wont lose power or economy so that could be good!

Ring around, there are plenty of pplz that could help.

Peace

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
A mate of mine had his vy done last year for $2300. He doesn't notice much power difference betweent the 2. He lost traction control when it runs on gas and also wasn't able to have the standard fuel gauge hooked up to the gas so he also lost trip computer for gas. With the ecotec, I was told you need to run upper cylinder lube as well where as other cars it's not a really needed. But after you get $2000 back from the goverment it works out quite reasonable.