Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre wear vy ss 2004

B

bluefox1

I know this might be an old topic but just thought I would revisit it. Just had 20,000 km service on my 2004 vy ss commodore and asked for the tyres to be rotated. When I went to collect the vehicle the service dept told me that all tyres worn too badly worn to rotate. Front tyres had worn shoulders and the rear had worn inside shoulders. I have always kept tyre pressures at placard levels of 34 psi and do not drive hard often. The tread on all tyres is hardly worn in the centres. I don't think that this is satisfactory. Your thoughts please?

KiwiSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Hey Bluefox1,

Probably the most you'll get out of a set of Potenza's (assuming that's what you're shod with) is around 35,000 km. Agree 20,000 is nasty and tyres aint cheap. If the shoulders are worn with centres in good shape, you've probably been under inflated @ 34 psi, unless you've got major alignment problems. I've had 3 SS's from VT to VY and found all tended to wear more on inside rears because of the independent suspension. Have got best results overall from rotating tyres every 10,000 km's and keeping pressures at 38 psi - especially on the 18 inch rims. Good luck :D

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
Good wheel alignments and a 4 point camber kit fitted to the rear will help with rear tyre wear. But 20,000 to 30,000 is about the norm unfortunately.

R

RKZ234

bluefox1 said:
I know this might be an old topic but just thought I would revisit it. Just had 20,000 km service on my 2004 vy ss commodore and asked for the tyres to be rotated. When I went to collect the vehicle the service dept told me that all tyres worn too badly worn to rotate. Front tyres had worn shoulders and the rear had worn inside shoulders. I have always kept tyre pressures at placard levels of 34 psi and do not drive hard often. The tread on all tyres is hardly worn in the centres. I don't think that this is satisfactory. Your thoughts please?

Welcome to the world of IRS Commodore ownership without a camber kit fitted at the factory as it should be.

Holden choses no to fit the camber kit at the factory in order to save a few dollars of production cost, which means the car is a couple of hundred dollars chaeper when new, but costs the owner thousands of dollars extra to maintain.

It's not good enough, but Holden couldn't care less. They've got our money from us and are far more concerned about the extracting money out of the next suckers wallet.

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
I GOT 45R17" TOYO tyres on my commodor and I havem for almost 2 yrs now and I tell you what... i did do some nasty skids and they are still going..

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
the front left wheel will tend to wear on the inside quicker than other wheel because in australia we do more right hand turns, Therefore the carmakers thought it would be a good idea to adjust the alignment of the front left to (i think its called) 'toe in' more to help us turn to the right faster,

Thus, if you could imagine if you wheel is turned to the right but you are still driving straight, thats exagerated, the disalignment is very very slight,

Thats only the front left inside, im not sure about the others....

davidlock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
get between 38,000 and 40,000 on a VX Series One SS which everyone we know is amazed about. Have to watch out for splits though. Recently changed to a much cheaper japanese brand (cant remember which one) the tyre place said owners said these were cheaper, quieter and wore better. They dont. Done 10,000 kms and vibrations in steering wheel already surfacing and couldnt pick drop in cabin noise. Will stick to orginal tyres next time