Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy V6 Acclaim replace motor with VTll Super charged

VY 777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 5.7
Hi guys I have a great VY with 104,000km with a few mods , Cold air, Pacemakers & 2.5 cat back system, lower plenum 25 min insulator, 69mm throttle body go's great.
I have just picked up a Vt Series ll Super charged motor & gear box from a Calais & I was wanting to get some ideas on what I have to change to to put it in to the VY, Will I have to change computers and if so will the VT one run all the electric equipment on the VY, ie dash radio options ect.
Now is my gear box the same as the VT as it done 170,000km & mine 104K or should I change the lot?( Both Autos)
The other thing I was looking at is the expense of rebuilding the S/charged motor before swapping over like tricking it up to new specs and putting on my extras, whats your thoughts?
All info and thoughts & would be appeciated.
Cheers Col

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you will need to find yourself a VY supercharged ecu, that way it'll keep all VY functions and be able to run your motor.

From vx onwards they changed some anti-polution setup (ERG), im not a 100% sure but it might be illegal to drop an older motor into your VY. i would be checking this out first.
You might say, whos gonna ever know? But you will have to register your new engine no# for VICRoads, and for insurance. and it'll come up as a VT engine.

The auto boxes are different too, the supercharged got a better box to handle the extra torque, cant remember the number/letter combination for the SC boxes, something like 4l65e not the 4l60e or 4l85e not 4l80e

Last edited:

SkidMarks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
also get a manual gearbox. makes supercharged alot more fun XD

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I also have a feeling your exhaust will need to be changed, since the supercharged 6's use the same exhaust as the 8's.

That may also mean new extractors... not sure on that though because they are both ecotecs

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
you may need to look into if its legal to put a older motor in a newer car because im not sure on exact rules but from what i know (at least in SA) its illegal to put a older motor into a newer vehicle because of emission laws and stuff but you could see what it would take to change the super charger over instead of the whole motor

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Col

I would advise you not to undertake the engine or engine/transmission change you are thinking about because the costs simply do not justify it.

Firstly it would make no sense to drop a worn out VT engine or engine/ transmission with 170000 or so kms on it into your 100000 km Berlina. There will be significant cost in doing it and all you will achieve is devaluation of your car. Who would buy a VY with worn out VT engine or engine/transmission in it?

Secondly, rebuilding the engine is a very expensive business and bear in mind these SC engines are not the same spec as the standard V6 items (and they sure don't feel like it either). Don't be under the illusion that you can rebuild an engine cheaply. Then there is the worn supercharger to either refresh or replace. That will not come cheap either. Finally, you will need a compatible transmission in good order (not some worn out item in need of a rebuild). Yet more expense. At the end of it all, and thousands of dollars later, you will still have a VT engine in a VY and you will have added zero value to the car.

Third, you may also find that, in your State, you may need to spend more dollars securing an engineer's report ticking off the engine change because you are not using the correct engine for the vehicle. You will not be replacing like for like.

Bear in mind that the Supercharged V6 was only a $1500 option over a standard V6 and hence good value when ordering a new car. However, doing what you are considering does not add up assuming that using a VT engine is even acceptable to the rego authorities in your State.

If you want more performance your best option is to sell your car and spend the dollars upgrading to a good VZ V8 . That is much better value for your cash and you should end up with a very much better car if you buy wisely. Alternatively look for a good stock VY with the factory Supercharged motor. You will not find too many good ones available for sale though. (Avoid any vehicle with an aftermarket Supercharger bolted to a standard V6 engine). Then there are the VY V8s to consider if you don't want to upgrade to a VZ - assuming you can find one in good order in your area.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Hi guys I have a great VY with 104,000km with a few mods , Cold air, Pacemakers & 2.5 cat back system, lower plenum 25 min insulator, 69mm throttle body go's great.
I have just picked up a Vt Series ll Super charged motor & gear box from a Calais & I was wanting to get some ideas on what I have to change to to put it in to the VY, Will I have to change computers and if so will the VT one run all the electric equipment on the VY, ie dash radio options ect.
Now is my gear box the same as the VT as it done 170,000km & mine 104K or should I change the lot?( Both Autos)
The other thing I was looking at is the expense of rebuilding the S/charged motor before swapping over like tricking it up to new specs and putting on my extras, whats your thoughts?
All info and thoughts & would be appeciated.
Cheers Col

Drop it straight in would be my tip. I'd take the VY sump n fit it to the VT L67 as the VY has a larger capacity. The ecotec and L67 trans are identical so just get the VT L67 torque converter and slot that in between your VT L67 and VY trans.

You can use the VT L67 ecu and chip but just get the VY L67 tune written to that chip by Dicks Electronics in Sydney. VT-VY ECUs are the same thing, it's just the tune that changes in regards of the VY running different serial data (the computer language of sorts).

Banish the thought of building the L67 before fitting it as they are a really excellent bit of kit. You may want to cam it and do the intake manifold gaskets with alloy ones as they are a weak point on ecotecs and l67s

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/e...s/Performance_products/Inlet_Manifold_Gaskets

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=117&catid=104

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/e...Shops/mace/Products/PLY004/SubProducts/PLY625

Check out this link, you may have to sign up but it's a dedicated L67 forum so well worth it

http://l67torque.com/viewforum.php?f=80

If you need any help with more accurate info just shoot me a pm

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Drop it straight in would be my tip. I'd take the VY sump n fit it to the VT L67 as the VY has a larger capacity. The ecotec and L67 trans are identical so just get the VT L67 torque converter and slot that in between your VT L67 and VY trans.

You can use the VT L67 ecu and chip but just get the VY L67 tune written to that chip by Dicks Electronics in Sydney. VT-VY ECUs are the same thing, it's just the tune that changes in regards of the VY running different serial data (the computer language of sorts).

the SC autos are stronger and have a different model 4l65e, yes you can bolt up the VT auto but it wont last. Also the VX-VY ecu (iirc) was faster that and the reconfigured ERG is what gave the VX-VY ecotecs the extra 5kws.. there is difference which makes sense using them

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
the SC autos are stronger and have a different model 4l65e, yes you can bolt up the VT auto but it wont last. Also the VX-VY ecu (iirc) was faster that and the reconfigured ERG is what gave the VX-VY ecotecs the extra 5kws.. there is difference which makes sense using them

Autos are identical internal wise across the board mate. Ecotec, L67, LS1 are all the same clutch packs etc. Just the converters are different between models and the LS1/ 5L have different input/ stator shafts to suit there converters.

EGR is not relevant on an L67 as none of them run it but have a carbon cannister only. Please don't comment to this guy that needs real answers unless you are sure.

I've done all these swaps in one form or another hence my accurate answers.

edit: 4L65 was only used on the 6L and US model GMC trucks but yes, you are right in that they are a stronger auto albeit slightly. they run 5 pinion planets and larger diameter clutch packs, etc

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
OP doesn't have his location put in, but if he plans on getting this done in NSW good luck - you need a motor of the same age or newer than what you've got already to comply with emissions and stuff - regardless of whether or not the older motor is identical to what is in your car. I was going to put a worked VX motor in mine but fortunately I found this out before I did it.