Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Issues

adamdunford86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Commodore 3.8 (Dual Fuel)
Hi All

I had my car serviced today, had the rear tyres changes and the front brakes changed.

The guy who done all the work said i had a tinny oil leak and tinny power steering fluid leak - these i believe you can buy an additive to try and solve.

He also said my engine was sitting low and my bushes where a little bit worn - - what does this mean?

Thanks

Adam

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hi All

I had my car serviced today, had the rear tyres changes and the front brakes changed.

The guy who done all the work said i had a tinny oil leak and tinny power steering fluid leak - these i believe you can buy an additive to try and solve.

He also said my engine was sitting low and my bushes where a little bit worn - - what does this mean?
Thanks

Adam

Where were the leaks coming from specifically?

Engine sitting low will be engine mounts sagging, need replacement to avoid the sump hitting the crossmember.

What bushes?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
If you have an oil leak you need to find where the leak is coming from by cleaning the engine, then spotting where it is leaking from and fixing it. Power steering, could be the reservoir, pump, rack or if you're lucky, just one of the hoses needs a clamp tightening as mine did once. Personally, I don't like the idea of"additives" to fix leaks and I believe they should be fixed properly. Did your mechanic even tell you where the leaks were directly coming from?
As for engine sitting low, well that sounds like engine mounts, maybe what he meant when he said "bushes"? I havn't had to change mine yet but I've read that they are a bit of a pain to do. Someone else may have some more suggestions for changing engine mounts.

adamdunford86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Commodore 3.8 (Dual Fuel)
Thanks for the reply guys.

No idea where the oil may be coming from so ill take your idea and clean it up around the seals and see where it reappears. On the power steering he did say on the rack, so what could that be?

The bushes where on the rear suspension i believe

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
right p-steer leak= rack rod end seals
is need of new rack same as every other commodore!~ dont worry unless leak badly e.g. drip or "boot's" on tie rod ends are full of fluid
rear bushes..... right not very specific for a "2002 commodore"