Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY on Gas

V

VY Commodore

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of the price of petrol going up. So I finally decided to take the plunge and install LPG on the VY until.....

I rang Holdens and the RAA in Adelaide, and they have advised me that it's in my best interest not to install the LPG because it will lead to valve guide problems. Now hang on, I'm going to install the IMPCO system that has it's own Holden Part Number and is the same system that was installed to the VY's from the factory.....No still that will not make a difference, you will still burn out your head.

So the question I ask...has anybody heard about this or even better can someone who has installed LPG to their VY help me out????

V

VYII S

VY Commodore said:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of the price of petrol going up. So I finally decided to take the plunge and install LPG on the VY until.....

I rang Holdens and the RAA in Adelaide, and they have advised me that it's in my best interest not to install the LPG because it will lead to valve guide problems. Now hang on, I'm going to install the IMPCO system that has it's own Holden Part Number and is the same system that was installed to the VY's from the factory.....No still that will not make a difference, you will still burn out your head.

So the question I ask...has anybody heard about this or even better can someone who has installed LPG to their VY help me out????

I have heard that GAS was not available as a factory option for VY's ?!?

V

VY Commodore

VYII S,

I was told that it was from IMPCO and the RAA.

A

AndrewM

fitting gas to any commodore is fine but over time it will burn valves & seats after a long time when it does then you have harder valves & seats fitted the best option is a new type gas injection which taps next to fuel injecters

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I've heard a lot of good reports with gas injection, I've always wanted a car on LPG but have never liked the idea of owing a fuel injected car which runs off a gas "carby" instead, I am surprised that more installations are not of the gas injection type these days (cost I'd say), I can remember when LPG conversion first became available back in 1979 or 1980 when the family car was a Sigma......or datsun BlueBird aka '4 cylinder limousine' :w00t: (for those of you old enough to remember the TV add with the midget sitting in the back seat)
You'd think that in 25 years there should have been more high tech break throughs in LPG design and installation :( but with my limited knowledge on the subject as far as I know there has been very little until Gas injection installations commenced.

Last edited:

fruity

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy executive
l thought vy's didnt come out with gas either. If you get yours done can you let me know how the car runs ,what is needed for the conversion and how much it costs. Thanks

hharry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII Ute
VY Commodore said:

Yes holden did offer LPG factory fitted in 2003 on V6 VYSII, i know, i have one.

Runs very smoothly, but, any head that is not hardened for LPG will wear quicker than compared to running on ULP. tis the nature of LPG unfortunately

I have had the heads changed to hardened LPG version ( under new car warranty ) to address high oil consumption issue, but to cut a long story short, i'm on an oil consumption test at the moment, and looks like i'll be getting a new short engine ( also under new car warranty ).

Bear in mind that a lot of V6 Buick owners are also complaining about excessive oil consumption even on ULP...

A better option would be to have holden manufacture a 100% ethonal vehcile, the u could stick it right up OPECS arse ;-)

D

DooKs

i have just bought a VY on LPG, and have researched the factory fitted system. As part of the factory fitted gas system it also includes hardened valves & seats.

P

pluff

Long live the Ford... I will never buy another Holden!

I got a VY Equip wagon new on the basis that it could run factory gas and was informed that there was a delay and I could have it retrofited as soon as it was approved. So my "Factory approved unit" was fitted at 20,000 Km and I have had never-ending problems. I have now done 110,000 Km and just picked up the car from the dealer today after it has been in for a week. Holden did the valve guides under warranty but I had to pay $680 + gst to have the hardend valve seats fitted or they would fit the guides and just slap the heads back on without milling the seats. Holden told me that was a good deal from the dealer. Needless to say I feel completely ripped!

Oh, and the car still runs crap on gas and has to go back next Tuesday.

Holdens take on the gas problems is that the car requires "head work" at 60,000Km whatever that means but the dealer said they knew nothing of this. Also there is no fix for the engine warning lights that keep anoying me so I am guess I just keep ignoring them (hope a real one dosen't happen).

My advice is steer clear of a VY (for me personally every holden because of holdens lack of responsibility for their dealers actions) on gas. The money saved in fuel soon gets eaten up in maintainance and inconveniance.
:b:

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
I have an 89 VN that has been on gas since 89. Backfires when not tuned adequately, compromise of Dual fuel setup (loss of power and economy) apart from that it runs perfectly. It has done 254000kms I would assume mainly on gas. Save a **** load of money on fuel and it is as reliable as it could be ie: no problems in the 9 months I have owned it.
I have heard it does happen but I have yet to see a VL or later Commodore with valve problems if it has been on gas for most of it's life. Maybe they don't last quite as well if they have run on petrol for a few years before being fitted with gas.