Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Fuel Mystery :S

romojohnny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE Series II
Hi all, I have the strangest problem

My fuel economy was FANTASTIC!! I got about 380km out of half the tank!!! With 80% suburb driving 20% highway...... I thought to change the fuel filter..took the fuel pump fuse out turned the car on so there's minimal pressure, took of the old filter popped the new one in ( RYCO Brand ) When I left home it showed that I had 35L in the tank.
I then went for a 50km drive when quarter of my tank was chewed :O got home and it showed I have 20L of fuel remaining??? ( Light driving.. no heavy foot )

Parked the car on the driveway had a look under no fuel leaking, no cut lines, and the connectors are securely on the filter?

Anyone have any ideas of where the fuel went??

bwenny 23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s2 exec 6cyl@ 01 vu 6 cyl ute
maybe no relevance but i think iff you have a browse on here there is a common problem with the fuel gauge on this model ,i know ive had problems with mine reading full then going down then right back up

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
youll probably find the gauge will stay there for a bit... just use your L/100km reading to get an idea

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
THe fuel guage is not accurate - especially the fuel left in tank L reading. I once drove 100km and it didn't change.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Some things better untouched.. like the old saying; If something doesnt need fixing dont touch it.
Dad had a old torana or something, Used to be perfect; he checked the coolant or something thought it was bad so he changed it. after that it never ran the same and it used to overheat.

romojohnny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE Series II
Thanks for the advice everyone :))

I've been reading on these forum's that the vy's / vz's have fuel reading problems.
Somewhere around here someone mentioned you have to go to Holden and get a Re-Calibration of some sort :S

Anyone know how long it lasts and how much it is??

@ GothicKidd - hahaha well said Should've just of left the old dirty filter in anyways the car runs on BP 98

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
lol dont bother with the re-calabration just get a feel for it... mine says that tanks empty and it still has another 10-15 litres so just figure out how your gauge behaves and youll be fine

romojohnny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE Series II
Yeah about that Dr HaxZaw I really cant figure how my gauge behaves now :S before from other tank made 580km's (98RON) did another full fill with 98RON and im struggling to squeeze 400km from the tank PLUS I'm driving like an elderly granny!

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
my gran drives like shes in a rally :D

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Dad had a old torana or something, Used to be perfect; he checked the coolant or something thought it was bad so he changed it. after that it never ran the same and it used to overheat.

That just sounds friggin stupid. You're not sure of what car it was or what he did but it was never the same?... Was that something you've been told or did you witness it?