Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Glitch

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
Was driving around today (being a bit of a hoon) and decided to slip the old auto into 1 at a set of lights and nail it. Hit 5 and a half grand and the trans shifted into second. Stopped at the next set and it did the same thing. Put it into second and the bloody thing changed into 3rd.
I was trying to see what i could get it up to in each gear.
Has anyone else had this on their SS Autos??

Scotty

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
There is an anti abuse mode built into the calibration to prevent over revving, the trans will always upshift at a pre determined speed no matter what position the lever is in, this speed is dependent on TPS, MAF & road speed
This has been since Holden moved to the electronic transmission (VR)

Rob

Dowling_s

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VY2 SS
But before i got it serviced i could hit the rev limiter in second at around 140KPH

Scotty

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
It is normal for it to change into 2nd while in 1st if revs get high enough to try and protect the drivetrain a little, but the 2nd to 3rd shift while stuck in second is a little sus, from factory they do hit the limiter in second without shifting to 3rd hmmm.

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
I own an Auto VY2 SS and can concur with Toa on this one, the Auto box doesn't usually shift from 2nd to 3rd no matter how hard you shove the loud pedal (if it is in 2nd gear on the box). I have also heard a little talk about this anti abuse concept, but have yet to see my transmission do anything other than upshift to 2nd if it's riding in first gear on the box.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
It is normal operation, just for interest sake here are the tables

Rob

Last edited:

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
That info is a bit out of whack don't you think rob?

You have a table of WOT shifts showing but from what car?

The 2nd to 3rd shift is quoted to happen at 5500rpm in normal and hot, and 5800rpm in performance (I can only assume this is when the power button is pressed?), but in all 3 speed scenarios, even though it is supposedly revving out to 5800rpm it still only reaches the same speed? 118.3km/h, does the diff ratio change for the performance mode?

If the performance settings are for when you press the power button, they are up shite creek too as there is no difference between power and economy modes at WOT.

One last thing, contrary to what that picture says, the 4L60 auto's from the VS onwards will not change to 4th at WOT in standard form.

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Dr Bob, how did you get that sheet? I'm assuming its an ECU software, but which type, and how did you get into the chip settings?

I'm assuming that its a bit deep for a backyard tuner to go messing about with, but its very interesting.

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
i did the same thing in my 1992 honda legend, put it in first to drag a vs, i was infront but then i forgot to change gears and instead of chang to second it just cut the revs then picked up, then cut them again, i lost cos of that, but at the next light s i put it into third and beat him,

P.s. im not a hoon Mr officer...