Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Pressure Gauge?

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
hi all,
I apologise first cause this has more then likely been answered before, but I'm not quite clear of the in's and out's of it.

I have a 2003 VY SS Ute and I've got the voltage gauge and oil pressure gauges for the car, I'm new when it comes to working on cars, I've done little things like hook up the DVD player and service and all those simple things, but I'm not sure how I go about hooking up the oil pressure gauge, like what do I do with the original sender when I hook the sender for the gauge up, I know I'm sounding like a dumba## but I'm just trying to learn bit by bit.

a set by step with pictures would be extreamly helpful. thanks guys.

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
Are they aftermarket gauges if so you will need an adaptor to keep the original sendor as it will alrm if you dont.

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
I ended up going with an oil filter sandwich plate (speco make them) gets a much more accurate reading rather than from the oil pressure sensor on top of engine. Plus you'll need a custom adapter if you intend to run it from there.... Super cheap, burson, repco and auto barn had nothing large enough to fit an adapter for the ls1 engines.

Only other way is to tap a thread into the removable plate under engine next to oil filter.

Only prob with sandwich plate is that it protrudes slightly and is a tight fit getting the sump shield back on.... However, I've now got two spare 3/8 threads I could maybe use for an oil cooler, but intend to run a oil temp sensor in the future.

Last edited:

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
ive never heard of the sandwitch plate, are they easy to set up?

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
Sandwich plates are a gadget that screws into the place where oil filter is fitted and then the oil filter screws inside/over it so it acts as a go between. Very easy to set up, about $65 from memory, mind you there's not much room down there and it's fiddly but very doable.

As I mentioned it comes with three outlets, so it has its advantage if you're looking at adding extra oil gauges. Presently I'm only using the one outlet running my oil pressure gauge via it. The two other outlets are blocked off.

The gauges I bought were from the USA and were an aftermarket fitment for the Monaro or whatever it was called over in the US.
The wiring it came with plugged straight into the factory oil pressure sensor on top of motor. It read around about 5 to 10 pounds less than what its now reading fitted and plugged into the 100psi sensor it came with now attached to sandwich plate.

This either suggests that a reading from the sensor on top of motor is slightly out or that its not particularly made to read pressure ( I wouldn't know)

As Chrisvyss says, you get a check engine warning as soon as you unplug the sensor reader from factory sensor. I was going to tap into the wiring on the original sensor but have read that you get inaccurate readings doing that and wasn't keen to chop up wires.

Best option for me was the sandwich plate as I can remove it and all wiring if I decide to sell car and keep gauges and not have to do anything but undo everything.

I'd be interested to hear how other readers fitted their oil pressure gauges.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
^^^^^^^ I did it the same way with the speco sandwich plate. the only reason i did this is that i saw my brother have nothing but problems with fitting the genuine hsv gauges.

alternatively you could buy these. Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor they plug straight into the obd2 port

WELSHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6lt SS Ute
hmmm i like the sound of how you did it, did u get the parts off ebay? i can find a sandwitch plate but not the rest. i mate of mine suggested cutting into the sensor wires ontop of the engine like you said but im not to keen on that idea either.

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
hmmm i like the sound of how you did it, did u get the parts off ebay? i can find a sandwitch plate but not the rest. i mate of mine suggested cutting into the sensor wires ontop of the engine like you said but im not to keen on that idea either.

what other parts cant you find, the sandwich plate is pretty much all you need besides the gauge[which come with the appropriate fittings and lines]

SS Manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE
None of the parts from ebay besides the gauges.

I ordered the sandwich plate through autobarn, fitted it all myself, wiring that came with gauges only just made it to the sandwich plate, not sure how long your wiring is but make sure you have enough length of wiring and use thread sealant when inserting the pressure sensor if you plan to do it that way.

Fill us in with what you have, do you have the gauges and wiring or just the gauges?