Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tech2 OBD II Software

adamdunford86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Commodore 3.8 (Dual Fuel)
Hi Guys

I want to active the police mode on my 2002 VY commodore. Plus look up any error codes and have a general nose round the setup of the ECU

I have the Tech2 OBD II cable for my computer, i have located the ECU socket under the steering wheel

But not sure what software to download and use to do this? I have had a look at EFILive v4 but couldnt get it going.

Any ideas would be great as i dont really want to go down and hassle the dealer.

Thanks

Adam

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
V6 needs OBD I (ALDL) not OBD II I thought ?

brodster

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv wagon
Mate waste of time playing with comp as it dont make it go any faster unless you work engine,do an engine conversion to a supercharged v6

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
It's not about making it go harder, or sounding beast, it's about poking around.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
V6 needs OBD I (ALDL) not OBD II I thought ?

Yes you are right mate.
From vz onwards its protocol is OBD II.

To the op you need to make the OBD cable it uses OBD II connector but talks OBD I.

adamdunford86

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Commodore 3.8 (Dual Fuel)
Hi guys

Thanks for the reply, im not interested in making the car faster, but enabling the police mode to get a permanent digital speedo, and also looking at any error codes the car has or may get in the future, will also be interesting to have a look at the other settings in there.

So my Tech2 OBDII cable is no good for the VY 02?

Thanks

Adam

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Hi guys

That is correct - (no good for VY V6). Also, I don't think police mode is DIY possible, consumer OBD tools can only read info.

Last edited:

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
That is correct - (no good for VY V6). Also, I don't think police mode is DIY possible, consumer OBD tools can only read info.

Yep, you either need to see Holden and get them to enable police mode, or phreddy from ASR can do it too. My Holden dealer did it for free.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Hi guys

Thanks for the reply, im not interested in making the car faster, but enabling the police mode to get a permanent digital speedo, and also looking at any error codes the car has or may get in the future, will also be interesting to have a look at the other settings in there.

Thanks

Adam

The OBDII plug is the same as an OBDI plug (what your car needs), it's just the language/ speed the tech talks to your car in is different.

Go with the cable and find the correct software to talk 8192BAUD. Send me a pm and I'll link you up