Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Genie VS Pacemaker Tri Y's

ls1-rice-eater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey all, start off by saying killer forum, i own a VY SS A4 Ute, cammed, stalled, otrcai, mafless tuned currently pulling 362hp @ the wheels, my question is, i had all this work done with an exhaust system that was on it when i bought it, it had genie headers stamped (008 ETR), these are the specs i found for the headers...

COMMODORE VU-VZ GENIE 008ET* WILDCAT 280*
5.7LTR & 6.0LTR V8 GEN3 GASKET PRIMARY OUTLET MANUAL AUTO AIR-CON P/STEER OXY MANDREL FITTING
2003-2007 TUNED SIZE FLANGE SENSOR BENT TIME
1 5/8 PRIMARY PIPES DSF138 1 5/8 2 1/2 Y Y Y Y Y Y* 3hrs
SHORT TUNED HEADER *FITS SEDANS-UTES-STATESMAN
22 INCH PRIMARY"S *RETAINS ORIGINAL GM-DEAWOO CATS -AND OXY SENSORS IN ORIGINAL POSITION
BOLTS INFRONT OF CAT

standard cats, 2.5" twin system to a set of rear mufflers named magnaflow which are 3" tips, cant really find any info on these headers to if people rate them or not... my tuner, recommended replacing the headers with pacemaker 1 5/8 tri y's, and reckons i will get some more grunt out of it, so ive decided to go front to back, 1 5/8" tri y's, 2 1/2" high flow cats to a twin 3" manta system with centre hotdogs to rear mufflers, i cant really see how these headers are so much different and will create an additional 10-20 hp, obviously it will help with the high flow cats and the bigger system and a tune, but just wondering if anyone has done a similar swapout like i am and for a 3k upgrage was a worth/noticable diffrence? or am i better of doing something like leaving the headers on changing the cats and the rest of the system, and doing the diff gears instead?? im a bit indecisive on what is the best way to go here so just after some opinions... hope someone can help..

bzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEIIR/UTE
I would find another tuner!!! The hp he's claiming will be in the tune.

ls1-rice-eater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i reckon my tuners right, i realise the ones i have are the short tuned headers after a bit of research, there pretty much designed to keep the stock cats and system in the original position so i guess there gonna choke a bit compared to the longer tuned ones, plus with high flow cats & a 3" system & a re-tune it will surely make a difference..maybe im wrong but it seems to make sense.

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Hey mate, so with your current system you would still be running stock cat section (from short headers to cats)? if so this would create a bit of a restriction and also running stock cats would add to that. i currently run hm short 4>1 headers with a 2.25" outlet and stock cat section and cats which i am now replacing with hsv vy2 headers & cats. if you wanted to save some cash you could always keep the short headers (as they already have 2.5" outlet) & replace cat section (with 2.5" pipe) and hi flow cats?

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
your going from basically the same type of header to the same type of header???...just a different brand

Look into 4-1's if your car is cammed!

ls1-rice-eater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
your going from basically the same type of header to the same type of header???...just a different brand

Look into 4-1's if your car is cammed!

In the end i did, the short headers i had on it were 4-1 not try-y, and looking @ them whilst they were off they were restrictive as, anyways that doesnt really matter i ended up goin pacy 4-1 1 3/4" high flows and the twin 3" manta system, end result was 362 to 388 rwhp so i was pretty happy with the result, and it sounds f*#@kn mean!

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Nice one!

What size cam and stall does it have?

ls1-rice-eater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Nice one!

What size cam and stall does it have?

Not 100% sure on the cam specs but it seems pretty lumpy, car has a good lumpy shake on idle, the stall is a 3500-4000rpm not 100% on the specs of that either,
all work was done @ active automotive, good bunch of dudes and eddy has turned my once was almost stock ute to a f@%#kn machine, getting 3.9 diff gears in two days apparantly they make a killer difference on the low end torqe, so ill be launchin everywhere i go!